best Mobile phone camera ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Best? Best lens, resolution, pixel density, speed of taking photos, colour resolution, depth of field, optical zoom, edge distortion .... ?

Define what you want out of the camera capability, then check the specs for the phone that matches or comes closest in the budget available.

It would take lab level analysis to answer your question so anyone's personal 'views' aren't really of much use IMHO unless they have actually studied the results of such analysis.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
"Best" is subjective. Most modern mobile phones have decent enough cameras for everyday people and situations. As with most tools, it comes down to who is using it and how. I use an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and find it mostly adequate for my needs, but YMMV.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The pixel phones are often considered the best Android camera phones. Huawei also make good cameras on their phones plus use Leica branded filters and software for better results.

Iphones always got the best camera tag but I'm not sure. I've only used an iPhone 5 but I had an older Android iPhone from Samsung that had better results. Unless Apple got serious about their cameras since then I'd look elsewhere. Pixel or Huawei I reckon if I had the money spare. I currently have a Samsung A70 and it's results are certainly good enough for my needs as a general point and press camera.

Reactions: Robbi

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't think any of us can tell you what the best phone camera is; we don't have access to a big enough sample set to be objective. People tend to love or hate certain makes, have individual good or bad experiences that leans them towards or against manufacturers.

So, go for independent unbiased reviews by people that know what they are looking for. Here's one by Digital Camera World that actually compares photographic quality and isn't based on personal, often subjective, opinion.

Reactions: Robbi

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've Now got a Motorola G7 - Excellent Battery Life and a superb Camera -which I do tend to use in replacement of a 'normal' camera.

Have a look at the Motorola Range - think they are on G8 Or G9 Now but I'm very happy with it.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've Now got a Motorola G7 - Excellent Battery Life and a superb Camera -which I do tend to use in replacement of a 'normal' camera.

Have a look at the Motorola Range - think they are on G8 Or G9 Now but I'm very happy with it.
Got to agree with you TeeDee...this is my third Moto g over the years and they are great phones with great cameras and not silly money!

Sent from Somerset using magic

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Got to agree with you TeeDee...this is my third Moto g over the years and they are great phones with great cameras and not silly money!

Sent from Somerset using magic

Yep , I've also owned several and they just keep getting better - Very Surprised that they didn't appear on Brocs list to be honest.

Reactions: swotty

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The g series went right off the boil I heard about G4 to g6 I think. My partner got iirc the G5 and it's camera is atrocious!!! A bright light day and it's grainy and probably produced worse pictures than my ancient LG that was one of the early touch screen phones with IIRC a 4mp camera on it and basic processing. I know because we looked through some of my 15 year old camera phone pictures taken when I had that lg about the same time we were looking be at her G5 photos.

Early g numbers were good and I'm assuming they've come back as a good budget option again.

However I'd look at honor sub brand of Huawei too. They're mid range like Moto g but they often have a lot of what makes Huawei pro camera phones number 3 or so in that link Broch posted. Years ago I got a honor 8 for less than the Moto g number of the same year and the only thing missing was some of the Huawei p number of the year's Leica processing/filters. It had the same Leica lens but only some of the filters and functions. The pictures were real quality for their time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE