Best Head Torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
What do people think is the best torch for: 1. Brightness 2. Modes 3. Comfort 4. Value for Money

I use a Silva L1 which claims to be the brightest head torch in the world, and when set to uber mode it can certainly light up the horizon :) Useful if I have to get myself of a mountain or similar. However I seldom use the highest setting which means the four AA batteries last for an astonishingly long time. The main head torch and battery pack assembly are both tough and waterproof, although the belt clip on the 'optional' 'C' cell case snapped shortly after purchase.

Brightness? Worlds brightest (allegedly)

Modes? Uber mode, a middle mode (still very bright) normal mode (which spreads the beam, good for working around camp) and a flash mode (presumably for emergencies).

Comfort? Well its larger and heavier than almost every other head torch, I don't mind having the thing on my head for hours at a time, some might though, I would say that it's too heavy for any really long journeys afoot, so I pack a little Petzl e-lite in my pack for those trips.

Value? I'm happy I parted with the cash (£60 ish), it has lasted through two years of near constant use and 'adventurin'.

Links:

Silva's site...
http://www.silva.se/templates/Produ...ductId={7342217B-E4CE-4BF9-8987-9FEFCCC09439}

A review...
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/3421/v/3/sp/

leon-1

I don't own one, but I have used one. At the huge price tag of £12.50 you would be hard pressed to beat both the functionality and value for money of the Alpkit Gamma.

I have used a number of and own a number of Petzl torches including one of the Tikka variants (it maybe the Petzl Tikka Massala, silly name for a torch anyway), the e-light (which is actually pretty good even if it takes silly batteries). I have torches by Princeton Tec, Streamlight and many others, but so far The Gamma actually comes up trumps.

I don't own one, but I have used one. At the huge price tag of £12.50 you would be hard pressed to beat both the functionality and value for money of the Alpkit Gamma.

I have used a number of and own a number of Petzl torches including one of the Tikka variants (it maybe the Petzl Tikka Massala, silly name for a torch anyway), the e-light (which is actually pretty good even if it takes silly batteries). I have torches by Princeton Tec, Streamlight and many others, but so far The Gamma actually comes up trumps.

I have just added one of these to my order along with other bits and bobs. there are many great reviews for this item and for £12.50 with quality batteries and free delivery, you cant go wrong i think.

@Scrimmy

I own a petzl zipka plus http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?StockID=16351
Its a great torch and very lightweight and I'm very pleased with it. I've had it for about 3 years and have had to repair the casing a few times due to me being a numpty and riding over it with my mountain bike and dropping it from a height whilst getting out of a wagon.
It works fine still and battery life is great.

Bodge

leon-1

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Petzl Tikka XP
http://www.petzl-head-torches.co.uk/petzl_tikka_xp_head_torch.htm
One very bright LED with various power and spray settings, tough water resistant and very comfy on your head. You can get coloured lenses too. Around £30. Decathalon used to be the cheapest, and they sell cheaper ones with more LEDS of the other type.

Got a Tikka xp, and a E-light http://www.facewest.co.uk/Petzl-E-Lite.html?gclid=CKHdr_bm45ICFUIlFQodBTLa3w

Both great, the E-light lives on my ruck chest strap.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
hard to beat the Gamma for most situations. I think it is better than my Tikka. Not as bright as my Petzl Duo but that is big and bulky.

If you want really bright Speleotechnics Nova 5 is the brightest single LED head torch, after that they get big and bulky

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i have to add my vote to the petzl tika xp. great piece of kit. if you need brighter, you need to stop falling down minshafts. :) lol the best thing i like about the xp is its ergonomics. it is very
lightweight. the fact that the coloured diffusers are an extra cost is not so cool though. they really should ship with the light. i usually just use the red diffuser.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I was planning to get a Petzl Tika XP but after seeing the Alpkit Gamma...

It arrived on Friday morning after ordering on Thursday.

Used over the weekend. Just fantastic :D

Might have to get another now :eek:

Andy

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have both the Petzl Tikka XP and the alpkit gamma and I have to say the gamma wins for functionality and price. It's an extremely capable headlamp at a fantastic price and Alpkits legendary build quality:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE