Best file for sharpening machetes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi guys, now that I have got the kukri taken care of I am thinking of putting an old machete of mine back into service. Its an old Guatamalan machete. I plan to put some wood handle slabs on it and reprofile the blade. What type and grit of file would be best for some edge profile work? I will follow that up with a nice benchstone.

Thanks guys.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use a coarse waterstone (600 grit I think) for salvaging older or neglected blades. Supplied by Axminster as usual.
You can get hoe files from agricultural suppliers if the blade is really bad.

Dave

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Hey Geoffrey, have you looked at Lee Valley? They have a file they sell for axes and cost under $10.

I'm going to get one this weekend and you can try it out.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I use a small flat chainsaw file I think it is made or should I say supplied by Oregon the chainsaw people.
And they are small enough to carry in your bag.
It takes it off neatly and not too quickly .
They are used for filing down the depth gauge on the chain.
You should be able to get them from anywhere that has anything to do with chainsaws.
But make sure you get a good one and not a Toy one, if you know what I mean. :roll:

MickT :wave: :biggthump

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Machetes are an agricultural and brush clearing tool. With that constant use the soft steels that roll vs chip and need to be trued, much like an old crosscut saw. A good steel or even judicious hammering on an anvil saves a lot of file work. I just use a fine mill ******* on mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE