Best edged tool combo for bushcrafting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hoodoo said:
Some of the best outdoor advice ever given. A little too much enthusiasm to "chop something" can lead quickly to a disaster.

I spend a lot of time alone in the outdoors and whenever I'm using cutting tools the thought ALWAYS pops into my head: BE CAREFUL YOU IDIOT because if I screw up here, it could be serious. The farther you get off the beaten path, the more serious any cut becomes. Slice into an artery and it might be the last thing you ever do. :nono:
Hear hear! I must say, I haven't been 'bitten' by my leuku yet and are often wondering when it will happen, cause as JFW said:
Always be aware that no matter what cutlery you decide to use remember that they all have a tendancy to bite you at one time or another
:roll: :wink: And from an axe, leuku, golok, machete, parang etc. you will only need a very small chop, to chop a finger off! :shock:

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Great help guys. I am thinking that the bushcrafter plus a laplander saw, and my swiss army knife should be good for most stuff. I can cut firewood, poles for shelter etc... With a 4" blade bushcrafter is there any need to add a leuku or other 7"-9" knife? Would a large knife be easier to use to cut boughs for shelther or sleeping mats? What about hewing boards for bows, sleds etc... Can that be done easily with the saw, knife, swiss knife? Does anyone make a flat ground or convex ground leuku or something like that? Is there any non military 7"-9" knife you guys would recommend?

Thanks.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Geoffrey said:
Is there any non military 7"-9" knife you guys would recommend?

Thanks.
I find a Strømeng leuku great! :D Look at my review here! :pack: All the details there. It's non-military and they are dealer for today's Sami people.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE