Best Book

Jan 8, 2007
Farnborough
I am looking for a practical guide to wild food plants that includes things like the best season to pick the plant, which part to eat and type of preparation. Any ideas?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Salt Back Pete said:
I am looking for a practical guide to wild food plants that includes things like the best season to pick the plant, which part to eat and type of preparation. Any ideas?

Have you looked at 'Food for Free' by Richard Maybey.:D

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
If you check in the "Library" Forum you'll find this is a fairly common discussion. I think our conclusion is there's no single book which does everything we'd want. You'll need Food for Free, and probably Roger Philips' Wild Food. " Johnny Jumbalaya does great series of books. Oh and you'll need to look out for a good plant ID book.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
woodwalker said:
can only second that - great book and pocket sized too. however I would back it up with a plant ID guide as it is good for recipes and preperation of food but not finding them.

woodwalker

Yes I agree, I have a couple of Collins Gem plant / animal and fungi books to help me along.
I also have the Collins Gem 'Food for Free' which is handy, everything in the main book squashed into a pocket sized wonder - Brilliant!:D

rg1984

Feb 24, 2007
Lockerbie
i got a book off amazon.co.uk the other day called the neighborhood forager. Dont know what its like yet but it looks ok. Might be a bit 'americanized' but it should still be interesting! Got it for about £3.50 including the postage! Bargain considering its RRP was £16.99!!!

birch-fire

Forager
Mar 22, 2007
Sunderland
Hi, Food For Free by Richard Mabey is a very good book and i would highly recommend it. I bought it from Amazon for only £11.21, bargain. There are reviews on there if you are interested. It isn't particularly an identification book (although the pictures are very clear) and isn't particularly 'pocket sized', but it tells you everything you need to know about the edible plants in Britain and some of their recipes. And at that it excels! :)

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE