Best book on Chinese cooking???

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What Chinese cookbooks* would you recommend? I've been watching that Wok Hom (or whatever his name is) on the tellybox and have a hankering to try my hand at Chinese cookery.

*Books about Chinese cooking not cookbooks written in Chinese languages.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Any of ken Homs books are worth a read the earlier ones are very good tell you a bit about the history of Chinese cookery and how to make the sources will dig mine out and give you the actual titles if you like

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Try this one from this earlier thread.

The Cultural Revolution Cookbook

How to eat well on a near starvation diet, or at least how to make your meagre rations taste a little better.

"...In 1969, millions of Chinese teenagers were forced from their homes in the city in order to live and work in the countryside as part of China's Cultural Revolution. The work was backbreaking and rations were tight, but Sasha Gong has fond memories of learning to make simple, delicious country cooking. A collection of delectable, healthy, and easy-to-make Chinese recipes from the villages interspersed with a personal narrative and bits of historical context, this cookbook contains authentic Chinese dishes ranging from honey-braised duck to stir-fried rice made from ingredients found at local grocery stores. Chinese history buffs and foodies alike will enjoy discovering the integral connection between Chinese culture and food..."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9881998468/

Eat well comrades. :D

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I do recommend Gok Wan's book. First time in ages that I've been doing some chinese cooking and his recipes are excellent.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi,

I have around twenty chinese cook books and my favourite is "Classic Chinese recipies" published by Siena ISBN 0-7525-2745-2 it has as would be expected all the classics 248 pages and has one recipe per page with a large full colour photo of each dish. Good luck and happy cooking.

Kindest,

RTh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE