Best base layers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
your probably gona hate me for saying this but what does it matter? its only the UK after all. i can understand wanting good boots or a windproof jacket but all this talk of base layers and diferent thickness of insulation seem a tad over the top. why not just wear more clothes? stop worrying about if its as good as merino and just get on with things

i think i'l go and hide now so i dont get hit by the srapnel:eek:

pete

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
your probably gona hate me for saying this but what does it matter? its only the UK after all. i can understand wanting good boots or a windproof jacket but all this talk of base layers and diferent thickness of insulation seem a tad over the top. why not just wear more clothes? stop worrying about if its as good as merino and just get on with things

i think i'l go and hide now so i dont get hit by the srapnel:eek:

pete

I don't where merino because I really need it, it's just much more comfy wearing good quality clothing ;) And I like comfy :)
And I don't have enough money to buy cheap gear...

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Err... it's a base layer?
*Under* something.

Anyhow, it's warm, and Schwert likes Brynje, so it can't be bad.

I do indeed like it. A bit hard to get but in very very cold Brynje layered with wool is heaven. Summer just the net is great too for ventilation and mosquito resistance.

Honestly I would not touch any poly-stink-o-rene underwear anymore. Merino is the ultimate way to go.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Peter, the thing is I dont really want to "wear more clothes" to keep warm. I also want to be sure that what I am buying is the best. When I will probably be spending £70-80 for a set of thermals I want it to be right. But thank you for your opinion.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Peter, the thing is I dont really want to "wear more clothes" to keep warm. I also want to be sure that what I am buying is the best. When I will probably be spending £70-80 for a set of thermals I want it to be right. But thank you for your opinion.

In effect,say for hillwalking in uk,you could wear the likes of ulfrotte top and bottom by themselves on the way up and still be warm.
Thereafter put on a shell to stop windchill.
Lord knows i've sweated buckets on the way up and wished I could do it in the 'you know...'

I've been using merino leggings from M&S that are good.

G

Gripper

Hi,

Have a look at www.missionpac.com with the UK vs Australian dollar they should be pretty reasonable. They do a 3/4 long john and a full length both 100% Merino.

Mark

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
I'm with toddy on this one.....

Silk is best. Its not that its particulary good for warmth but is very comportable next to the skin and does wick moisture well, though not as good as polyprop.

I'm a big fan of the US army ECWCS gear..(although not in camo, as it can look a bit "army"). Their Polypropylene long johns and top are superb. I've worn just the top under the uninsulated ECWCS jacket in both the alps (skiing) and cairngorms (winter), and had to have all the vents on the jacket open just to stay cool.

They wick moisture and are very comfortable. Cheap as chips too. Easy to get off an auction site, just make sure you get a large size, so that you don't get cold when bending over/down etc...

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Polypro isn't anywhere near as good as merino, IMHO. It doesn't wick as well when you're sweating, isn't as warm when you stop, and stinks to high heaven with a single day's use.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Back in the day....ahhh, I used to do adventure racing. Back then there wasn't the selection of base layers there are now. I used the obligatory helly hensen lifa when belting around like an idiot, sweating like a lawn sprinkler, it worked well.

I then progressed to some ACT stuff from berghaus. This was warm,dried fast, did what it said on the tin (it actually came in a tin if I remember correctly!).

I have, in my middle age, now moved to silk. I just think its more comfortable......and that counts a lot for me.
I think that wool is the best for insulation layers, but it still takes some drying compared to silk, so if you wash it a lot in the field like I do, It just makes more sense to me as a base layer.

I guess having tried a lot, there all good at wicking and function as a base layer should.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE