Best base layers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
The icebreakers i have are warmer than any of the berghaus or northface base layers i have, i recently seen the Ullfrotte base layers ( i think this was the brand) and they are merino but loop stiched inside, i didn't buy them as i didn't have the cash but they looked very very good, if i were to buy another base layer it would either be an icebreaker or the ullfrotte. Maybe someone who has one could let us know what they are like, they looked excellent.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I've just been through this dilemma.

I've had synthetic before but recently bought a chocolate fish merino base layer, Its warmer and more comfortable than any of the synthetics. It's flat stiched and the only problem's I've had with it was finding suitable washing powder for washing it with and the label's that are on it irritate the h*ll out of me.

So consider me converted

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Knitted silk :approve:
Warm, breathable, comfortable, easy care, and not as expensive as one might expect :)
I have friends who swear by the merino stuff too though, it seems natural fibres really do beat the hightech stuffs hands down.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm not so sure about that.........mother nature made me kind of cuddly.........but I think it just makes more of me to get cold :puppy_dog

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Unless you are going camping a lot, and in the real depth of winter (say below -5c) check out places like your local Q&S, Lidl and Aldi, they all do some good long Johns and tops at a very reasonable price, don't forget ex army long Johns, under about £4 on eBay; Merino is really good but expensive and often overkill in the UK conditions you are likely to meet.

A hot meal before bed is worth a base layer very often ;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ullfrotte Woolpower can`t be beaten IMO, I have both 200g & 400g tops and the 200g bottoms. Craghoppers and Icebreaker do lighter weight gear which I think is superb stuff also.

Endicotts do some italian wool tops which are good aswell and they`re a fraction of the price.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
I usually use a Helly Hanson lifa top, and a pair of Ronhill running leggins, or my issue longjohns.
To be honest I actually prefer my army issue longjohns, thinner, a bit more comfy, they pack lighter and smaller, and I tend to find them warmer. However the low crotch is a serious pain sometimes. It's hard to walk from just the knees downwards lol

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Helly Hansen are doing their Frost tops for £29.99 in their outlet shops at the moment which is part Merino, part Lifa. I just got some Merino stuff from TAD gear in America. They did,nt sell much during the summer so they had a close out sale and i got two of each. They are Merino and good quality 'squaddie proof stuff' as well!;)

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Woolpower/Ullfrotté is the stuff I'm wearing on my skin and very happy about it, got socks and shirts in 200 en 600 thickness and by combining I've never been too cold or too hot :)
I even go running in one of the 200 tops and it still takes ages before they stink... ;)

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned that in a synthetic you stink like a fox in a sauna after a day or so but in wool you will be allowed into the pub even after a week.
I've got some icebreaker stuff and love it to death, wouldn't mind trying out the woolpower either. Go back to ronhill? not a chance!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I just bought a Helly Hansen 60% merino hoodie baselayer from the outlet store in Bridgend - reduced from£60 to £30 and it's WARM!

Still some left..

(No connection)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Thanks to this site I started using pit-roc and wool,realy does make a difference odour wise.

Using a 200 ulfrotte mostly at the moment.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Depends on what I'm doing.
If I'm doing sports, fast-and-sweaty, I go for synthetics. In that category HellyHansen, Patagonia, Lowe and MacPac have served me very well over the years.
If I'm out doing bushcrafty stuff, hunting or the likes, I tend to go for wooly base layers. There Woolpower, Icebreaker and Smartwool have kept me toasty warm.
And for longer days hiking or cross-country skating (yes, skating), I tend to use a mix of synthetics and wool, with the synthetics closest to the body.

/ Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE