Best adhesive plasters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
What's the best adhesive plasters for first aid kits? I've found that so many are just plain rubbish and fall off after a few minutes.

Op-Site is pretty good but it should be for the price - however, they are big and cumbersome and not suited for some cuts. Band-Aid stuff isn't too bad but they are badly affected by sweat or water.

Me, I'm leaning towards the old Elastoplast roll ... gets wet through but it stays on.

What do you use?

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
mine favorite are the betadine plasters, they can stretch, will stay on you and don't leave adheisive on you wenn you remove them. Haven't had problems with it wenn wet. The disinfective betadine is a plus, but ot suitable for long periode's.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I wonder if we have those in the UK? Who makes them?
PC2K said:
mine favorite are the betadine plasters, they can stretch, will stay on you and don't leave adheisive on you wenn you remove them. Haven't had problems with it wenn wet. The disinfective betadine is a plus, but ot suitable for long periode's.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The best ones I have used are made in china and are not sold in the UK
they are increadably sticky and wont come off when wet (infact they are difficult to take off even when you want too :shock: )

when i was out in reunion island these were the only plasters that stayed on in the humidity

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Elastoplast strips for the most part or some sterile dressing and a load of micropore stays put in most circumstances, particularly if you can wrap the micropore right round and back over its self.
David

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Aha, something I know a bit about. Elastoplast fabric roll gets my vote. All you need it for is a little protection from dirt 'n muck for 24 hrs or so. Elastoplast stays put, even when wet. I find the plastic types make your skin sweat if they manage to stay on long enough. Strapple is a good adhesive tape, I use it a lot in hospital in preference to micropore for securing bandages etc. It's a fabric tape with better adhesive properties than micropore, but micropore is better for sensitive or delicate skin areas.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
My first aid kit...

1x roll of strapple
1x roll of fabric plasters
1x small scissors
1x surgical tweezers
4x steret alcohol swabs
1x tampon
1x 5ml bottle of betadine (povidone/iodine mix)
2x 30mg codeine phosphate
4x 450/10/30 mg Syndol (paracetamol/codeine/caffiene) :biggthump
1x 2.0 silk suture
1x scalpel blade
1x medium guedel airway
2x sterile cleansing wipes
1x small vial potassium permanganate (great antifungal)
2x 5cm x 5cm none absorbant dressings
1x bandage roll
1x blood stopper bandage
1x pair of latex gloves

You can fit this lot into a small pack, about the size of a packet of cigarettes and it weighs in at just 200g.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Is this something I can buy without setting off alarm bells in a pharmacy?
Martyn said:

I'll have to try and pick some of this up ... thanks!
1x roll of strapple

Thanks for the info Martyn!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I like the Elastoplast in the UK and Bandaids in the US. Both in flexible fabric. Neither stick if you try to put them on damp skin, and will fall off if you get them wet shortly after they are put on, but once they are properly stuck they stay that way!

For the times when I really don't want a plaster to move I use the Elastoplast zinc tape over the top.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I got a bottle in Boots, brill antiseptic only draw back is I cant catch my kids when I get it out of the kit, they run as thay have had it before, and STING!!!!!. :yikes:
Got to be cruel to be kind,(he he he) :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
Is this something I can buy without setting off alarm bells in a pharmacy?
Martyn said:

Hmmm, dunno, you should be able to, it's a general purpose antiseptic, though like JT says, you might have to buy a big bottle and decant it into a portable container. It's used a helluva lot in hospital, by the gallon, so I cant see you having a problem. It's no better as an antiseptic than bog standard iodine though, but the addition of povidone, takes that insane sting out of it. It still stings a little, but nothing near the evil pain of neat iodine. Strangely, I got my little 5ml plakky bottle of the stuff from Thailand.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Oh, btw, in case anyone hasn't tried em, for over-the-counter analgesic, get Syndol. IMO, they are the strongest and most effective bar none. I'd even give em first shout over some prescription analgesics. Dont take em at work though, cos they have a tendancy to make you quite drowsy.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
boaty said:
Thanks for the Syndol tip, but what are the codeine phosphate tabs for? They're a type of analgesic as well right? Stronger?

Yeah they are, or rather they should be, but to be honest, I think syndol are better, even though they contain less codeine. It's the mix of ingredients in syndol that seem to do it. I take the codeine along, because they're tiny and also because you can "top up" with them if you're in real pain (broken limb etc). There's a limit with syndol, because of the paracetamol content. A paracetamol overdose is one of the nastiest, it's very bad for your liver and suprisingly easy to do real liver damage. If you've ever seen anyone die from a paracetamol overdose, & the multiple organ failure secondary to it, you'd understand why I give it a lot of respect. Although to be lethal, you'd have to take quite a lot, you can do damage with a relatively small overdose.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I thought codeine on its own was illegal to buy over the counter without a presciption unless mixed with paracetamol/aspirin. How did you acquire your 30mg codeine phosphate, was it a previous presciption?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE