Best 3 season sleeping bag for under £100?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kingkio

Jan 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any suggestions for a 3 season sleeping bag for under £100?

Synthetic or Down, must compress down well & a reasonable weight. It will be used in a hammock, so any features that will benefit this is a plus.

I have already looked at the following:

DD Jura 2 Sleeping bag
Mountain Hardware Pinole

All suggestions welcome, however I am not a big fan of Snugpak as the first (although cheap at £25) sleeping bag I bought from them pretty much fell apart after a couple of uses. :)

Last edited:

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
ive used a dutch army bag, british army bag and now i use the jura 2 in my hammock. got to say for the money im very impressed with the jura, i can imagine with an underquilt it would be fine in any british weather, also very easy to get into then climb into the hammock

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Don't know if it's in budget, I got mine ages ago, but I do like my snugpak SF1 bag.

Since I've been using it (about 10 years or so), I don't think I could go back to a non centre zip bag again.

J

kingkio

Jan 19, 2014
United Kingdom
ive used a dutch army bag, british army bag and now i use the jura 2 in my hammock. got to say for the money im very impressed with the jura, i can imagine with an underquilt it would be fine in any british weather, also very easy to get into then climb into the hammock

What temperature would you say it's best for? My Underquilt is just a modified poncho liner so its not the best insulation. Hoping to use it for spring, summer and autumn when the weathers right.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Snugpak Elite 3

Got the same one and it's been faultless. I'm no racing snake and still had plenty of room in it.
Doesn't matter what bag you get to use in a hammock anything that is under you will be rendered useless.
If it's only ever going to be used in a hammock I would go for mountainm's suggestion.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
What temperature would you say it's best for? My Underquilt is just a modified poncho liner so its not the best insulation. Hoping to use it for spring, summer and autumn when the weathers right.

last time i used it in my hammock with a self inflating mat, hat and gloves and it was about 3 degrees and i woke up hot, next night i used the hat but not the gloves and left the bag unzipped about 6 inches and was perfectly comfortable. they are also on offer at the moment on dd's site with the frontline hammock(i know this cause i bought another one 3 days ago for my mate :)

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
got a snugpak softie 12 ospey in the late 80,s, still going strong, altho probably needs washing with something to help loft it, any ideas?
also got zero camo a couple of yr ago, no probs with it, altho I would take the ~7 with a pinch of salt.

atb,
ship

robbo26

Jan 25, 2014
Abergele North Wales
Hi Kingkio
I know you have already mentioned you are not a fan of Snugpak but I use a Snugpak Softie Elite 3 with my DD Frontline Hammock. I have used it in gale force winds in temperatures below freezing and was toasty warm. I haven't had any issues with it yet and hopefully wont.

The thermal lining is Softie Insulation which is synthetic polyester.
The outer is Paratex Micro which is tough, lightweight, windproof and water repellent
The lining is Paratex Light which is lightweight, water repellent breathable and able to wick away moisture. (My hammock gets a fair bit of moisture through the night so this is a big plus for me)
Comes complete with compression stuff sack.
Comfort temperature of -5c Low -10c.
Its pretty light weighing in at 1700grams and packs small when compressed
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Softie-Elit...858404&sr=8-2&keywords=snugpak+softie+elite+3 (You can find it cheaper I think)

I have to admit the DD Jura 2 sleeping bag centre zip and waterproof base is a very good feature for hammock camping.

I am fairly new to hammock camping but I hope this helps

kingkio

Jan 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Hey robbo, thanks for the feedback! I finally decided on the snugpak after finding out that the cheaper range is imported from china whereas the more expensive ones are made in the UK.

Just arrived today so I had a quick try in the house and was toasty warm. Fit into my 35L rucksack so next mission is an overnighter in it!

Sent from my e1901_v77_cxq using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE