Bespoke ventile smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Having been inspired by Stuart F's ventile master piece I planning to have a go myself (well my curtain making mother will be doing the really hard bit, the sewing).

I 'm going to use the same pattern as Stuarts smock (http://www.therainshed.com/patternsrs.htm the unisex cagoule)

I've just got a couple of questions first.

How big a difference does double layered ventile make rather than a single layer

I was thinking of using L24 ventile, if i tried a double layered smock would L34 be a good choice for the lining?

How much ventile would I need, 3 metres? I was going to try and buy OG colour ventile seconds from talbot weaving.

I also plan on trying to make a blanket shirt for use in cold weather under the ventile, If so how much larger should I make the ventile smock? I'm a size 44" chest with long arms.

And finally if this all comes to fruition where do I get a bushcraftuk badge from?

Andy

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
Robbo said:
I've just got a couple of questions first.

How big a difference does double layered ventile make rather than a single layer

I was thinking of using L24 ventile, if i tried a double layered smock would L34 be a good choice for the lining?

How much ventile would I need, 3 metres? I was going to try and buy OG colour ventile seconds from talbot weaving.
Andy

If you want to make a double layer version, don't worry about making the inner a bit smaller etc. It isn't worth the effort with a "thin" fabric like Ventile.

L34 will make a good lining, but it is more expensive.

The amount of Ventile needed will depend on the cut of the garment. If the sleeves and yoke are all in one piece then the minimum length needed is the distance from your wrist to the other wrist. Depending on the pattern, can you then fit the front, back hood and pocket pieces into the long offcut once you've cut the yoke? Probably not, (depending on the length of the front and back). So rather than try to save a few £'s, get 3m for the outer. (Okay, I know it isn't just £2-3 but consider the cost of being 20cm short! That is expensive!)

For fit, I would allow 8 - 10 inches over your chest size, 4" for clothing and 4" for movement. Ventile does not slip over undergarments like synthetics do, so 10" is probably best. And finally if you are 44" chest, consider going up to 12" over, i.e. smock circumference of 54 to 56". It sounds big, but it will allow you to get winter clothing underneath, even if you will rattle around inside it a bit during the summer months.

Hope that helps

GrahamO

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Been thinking about this. I have and old worn army issue Cold Weather (falklands) Parka (looks kind of like the SAS Artic smock with the same floppy wired hood but a bit longer, mid thigh to knee length) but its missing its insulating liner.

I'm thinking of using this as a pattern but moddifing the hood i.e. making a normal styled slightly peaked wired hood and shortening the length (but making it longer at the back than at the front, if that makes sense) and possibly making the jacket double layered.

I've still to run all this past my mum so it may be a complete non starter.

Any thoughts on this? Or advice from those who've used the SAS smock as a pattern?

Andy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've got a liner in my cellar somewhere. God knows where the parka went, bit dissapointing that he won't tell me too! I could dig it out and get it sent over to you if you really want it. PM if you need it, otherwise it'll end up on eBay one day!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE