Besom making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I have been trying to find information on the harvesting, and preparation of Scot's Broom (Cystisus scoparius) for use in making besoms. The only mention I have been able to find says it was once used, but the scarcity of it in the UK has precluded its use in favour of Birch, willow twigs. I am living in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. of A., and we have no shortage of Scot's Broom here whilst there is a shortage of good willow, and almost no Birch. I am going to assume the best time to harvest would be winter, which is upon us now.
Thank you,Woody

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
No direct info on broom but whatever the material they are normally harvested any time when the sap is down, stored for 6 months or so until dry then made up. If you make them up green then once they dry the bindings come loose.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Broom ? like gorse and broom ? They grow like weeds tbh.
Birch besoms (brooms) are more common though among the crafter folks I know. Funnily enough mine died a couple of months ago, but I saved the hazel staff and will gather more birch twigs to make another. There are two trees to come down next to our fence.

Sorghum is widely grown elsewhere to make brooms; and they're very good too, but don't do so well in our wet climate. They still last for years though.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE