Berry/seed pod ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Any idea what these are?
4287e45bc9bd35a54f19d37da78725f0.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/euonymus_europaeus.htm

Lovely website that one, interesting and well worth a read :)

The spindle is poisonous. Best advice is to not eat the berries, and be careful when working the timber since the sawdust has a reputation of being on the nasty side.

Did you find it locally Mike ? it's supposed to be a bit rare since pests overwinter on it and folks don't want it in their gardens.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
When the Spindle turns colour in Autumn, mid October here, I think it's one of the loveliest sights of all; it sometimes looks as if the hedgerows are afire. The wood has a square section to it when young, and when mature it's incredibly durable and strong whilst being very light.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I know of three samples in the woods I look after and two are really sparse and spindly with only one or two berries and few leaves.
On the other hand there is one on the edge of the woodland that is teaming with berries this year.
WP_20150926_15_58_05_Pro[1].jpg

What I find interesting is on the sample in my picture the leaves are quite big, where as the ones in the woodland have more blackthorn like leaves much smaller and thinner.

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Found one today in the nature reserve. Never seen one and it was my dad who noticed it. He didn't know it either.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've planted quite a few but none big enough to produce the lovely looking berries yet (which is the reason I selected them). Square stems as mentioned.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
awarner/Post#7: You may be looking at a fine example of the difference between leaves which develop in sunlight and those which develop in shade.
Apple and pear trees produce sun leaves and shade leaves but the difference is not so profound as what you describe. I don't know about any of the other cultivated fruits.
Under the microscope, a sun leaf has multiple layers of cylindrical cells (palisade mesophyll) while a shade leaf has a single layer.
As you might imagine, the sun leaves do much more photosynthesis that any shade leaf is capable of.
Pruned shapes of fruit trees tend to address this issue to avoid shade leaf development.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE