Berry recognition help

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

Found this while gathering sloes yesterday, any ideas what it is?
berry2.jpg

berry1.jpg

Looks like a black current to me but hey, i dont know...

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
There is a nice cherry laurel near me here which had me puzzled for a bit, I opened one of the fruits and it was very plum like with a small plum stone in the middle surrounded by a good layer of soft fruit.

Thanks for that linky Gibbsy, what it doesnt show well is the size of the leaves, big big waxy things bigger and lighter green than rhododendron.

Must take a pic of it tomorrow :) just for the record.

Do not eat, although prunus is plum family this one is nasty.

Tant

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Well the leaf above is about 25mm long and 10mm wide. Inside it has 2 large pips which fill the berry with no flesh layers and the juice is blue?

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
There is a nice cherry laurel near me here which had me puzzled for a bit, I opened one of the fruits and it was very plum like with a small plum stone in the middle surrounded by a good layer of soft fruit.

Thanks for that linky Gibbsy, what it doesnt show well is the size of the leaves, big big waxy things bigger and lighter green than rhododendron.

Must take a pic of it tomorrow :) just for the record.

Do not eat, although prunus is plum family this one is nasty.

Tant

Tant Prunus laurocerasus berries are edible when ripe, the seeds and the rest of the tree are toxic.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Bush tucker still no luck, try crushing the leaves if they smell of almonds the plant probabley contains cyanide placing it possibly in the laurel family, at this point im stumped. PM Toddy she maybe hasnt seen this yet she is very knowledgeable about this type of flora.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like privet, but the fruits seem a bit more *plumy* than I recall and the stems are usually greener on privet. Might just be a close up photo though.
http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/index.php?section=environment:species:tree&id=661
I don't think I've ever seen a cherry laurel, but purging buckthorn berries are ripening into black just now and they would be growing where the sloes do.
http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/trees/buckthornp.htm
leaves look a little too smooth at the edges though.
I found a gean (wild cherry/ bird cherry) the other day that still had black berries on it; the stems look alike but the cherry leaves are much larger.

If the berry crushes on a kitchen towel and stains kind of dark green rather than purple I'd go with the privet.

Bye the bye, the earliest fishtrap we have Europe (mesolithic) is made from privet branches. It can be coppiced like willow and will produce good long weaver stems in a couple of years.

cheers,
Toddy

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Well, thanks for all the info so far, been a great help.
I crushed the leaves and it smells like apple peel, if that makes sense. No smell of almonds though.

K

Karr

I agree, this is 100% Privet - Wild privet. The leaves (apparently) contain a yellow dye.
Though all parts are poisonous.

Regards Sparrow.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
I would say privat. but Bay also has black berries in the laste stages. You would know by the smell of the leaves though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE