Berghaus Vulcan Shoulder Straps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

qsalister

Feb 5, 2012
South Yorkshire
I'm having a problem with my Berghaus Vulcan rucksack. When I'm walking, every so often I have to stop and re tension the shoulder straps. They seem to work there way loose as I walk, and slowly the fit of the backpack gets worse and worse.

Anyone else have the same problem? Any suggested solutions?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have a blackhawk rucksack where exactly the same problem happens- with the blackhawk bag, the plastic ladderlocks are of poor quality/or a poor match for the webbing used- and are constantly slipping through- needing re-tensioning every few hundred meters. In the case of the Vulcan though, I suspect the quality is far better, but the buckles being plastic have probably become worn over the years. Only way to solve it is to replace the buckles- which should be a reletively cheap and easy job- especially if you have a sewing machine?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Try sanding the insides of the buckles to 'roughen up ' the places where the webbing passes so they grip it better...could try the same with the webbing too if it's worn very smooth.....worth a try anyway..

qsalister

Feb 5, 2012
South Yorkshire
Thing is, I've only had the bag a few weeks, so it shouldn't be worn yet. I'm going to try sanding the plastic to roughen it up a bit, might create a bit more friction. Cheers for the advice.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Adjustment of shoulder straps and waist belt as you walk along has been a feature of pretty much all of the packs I've owned. As the load shifts and moves as you walk you need to adjust the fit. The heavier the load or the more dynamic the activity the more frequent the need to adjust IME.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Adjustment of shoulder straps and waist belt as you walk along has been a feature of pretty much all of the packs I've owned. As the load shifts and moves as you walk you need to adjust the fit. The heavier the load or the more dynamic the activity the more frequent the need to adjust IME.

True enough but there is quite a difference between voluntarily adjusting your straps & belt throughtout a hike to make the load more comfortable & having the webbing slip through the buckles which I believe is the OP's problem...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a blackhawk rucksack where exactly the same problem happens- with the blackhawk bag, the plastic ladderlocks are of poor quality/or a poor match for the webbing used- and are constantly slipping through- needing re-tensioning every few hundred meters. In the case of the Vulcan though, I suspect the quality is far better, but the buckles being plastic have probably become worn over the years. Only way to solve it is to replace the buckles- which should be a reletively cheap and easy job- especially if you have a sewing machine?

There are replacement buckles, etc. on the market now that don't require sewing www.entrygear.com/product.asp?id=3290%20XX

I might also reccomend just using some resin on the straps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE