Berghaus Vulcan original, does it accept PLCE side pockets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 14, 2011
ireland
Hi Guys,
could one of you guys please confirm if the original Berghaus vulcan will accept PLCE side pockets. I saw this one for £99s online Shop Outdoors this one in particular.
http://www.shop-outdoors.co.uk/berghaus-vulcan-rucksack.html . I intend to use it with some Karrimor SF omni side pockets. I wasn't lucky with Endicotts as they had some surplus ones but not size 4, don't you just hate that! Anyway I would be grateful if one of you could run your eye over the bergen in the link and let me know. (I did ask them they didn't know, but were at least polite about it.)

Regards

Phe

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think you have to watch side pockets, there is an assumption that they must all be interchangeable but they certainly are not. A while ago I bought the Dutch Army version of the Lowe Alpine Sting, without sidepockets assuming that the webtex side pockets I already had would fit. They might have done but for a fiddly bit at the bottom of the zip prevented the zip from even attaching, so I decided to order the proper pockets, my order came but what I recieved were two very different side pockets. One was clearly the business, fitted without difficulty but the other one only fitted upside down and was different in a number of respects. I finally got the right side pocket to match and decided in the end to keep the one that did not fit, because it had a couple of straps on the back which allowed it to fit the molle loops on the front of pack, should I ever need the extra space.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is it the older Vulcans which have the zips the wrong way up or is it the newer ones? I can never remember

Hopefully Twodogs will see this, what he doesn't know about army kit isn't worth knowing

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
...webtex side pockets I already had would fit. They might have done but for a fiddly bit at the bottom of the zip prevented the zip from even attaching,...

Webtex "PLCE" is renowned for it's lack of compatibility with PLCE. My webtex pouches do not fit my PLCE whereas my snugpak and karrimor do.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
As stated the later Vulcan like the one your looking at will take PLCE pouches .
I don't know about the karrimor side pouches .

Twodogs

I am wondering if the odd pouch I was sent in error comes from an early Vulcan. It has two straps and press studs on the back, a couple of straps on the front with plastic buckles and numerous molle style loops on the front and back. I don't know about Karrimor Pouches or standard PLCE issue, I have never seen them, but the Webtex and Sting Pouches are very different kettles of fish. The Webtex come with there own Yoke and fittings to make a dat sack, but the Sting ones look more versatile as they have loops that would allow them to be fitted to a pack with compression straps in the right place but no zip.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got mine off amazon last year complete with side pockets & paid £115, could pay you to look round a bit more.

Rob

Sep 14, 2011
ireland
Thanks guys for your replies.
My Karrimor pouches fit any PLCE compatible bergen I have ever been issued, such as the LA Saracen and the OG PLCE bergen with belt order. I just fancy the Vulcan as it has nothing but the best reviews, some almost venerate the pack. Also, the ability to take off the OG side pockets and put on DPM/MTP makes it more suitable for use on an exercise, especially when I intend to add zips for an extra pouch. If I could only stop chasing the mythical carrying qualities of the Vulcan and settle for the Saracen I have amongst others. I suppose if I got a Vulcan then I would start dreaming of Mystery Ranch and Kifaru.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
You should not have any problems with the bag in the link as it is the current one, PLCE compatible. The issue with Berghaus pouches was from the original Crusader and early Vulcan which had the zips upside down for some stupid reason.

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
The side pockets that fit a Karrimor SF 100-130, wont fit the Latest Berghaus Vulcan,(unless you want them on up side down) I believe only the Berghaus ones do they have done it on purpose so you have to buy Berghaus, so I'm told

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE