Berghaus vulcan or Karrimor sabre 60-100

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Hi

Need a decent bag to take out on long hikes and some travelling. I assumed i would get the sabre as it has had good reviews then i find out about the vulcan and its had jsut as many good reviews.

So ladies and gentlemen, your thoughts and views would be appreciated :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just got rid of my Vulcan and dropped down to a Sabre 75. I've not tried the 80-100L but for me personally the 75 is ten times more comfortable.

You really need to get one of each fully loaded and have a walk about and see what you think. If you're down for any meets soon then you should be able to try them both out.

Not used the Sabre but.... I hve used the cyclops 2 back system for about 20 yrs give or take, along with assorted variable lngth back systems and other fixed ones, and I have to say for heavy loads I keep going back to Berghaus' cyclops 2.

The main reason for this is that I'm a freak and at 6'7'' finding a big bag long enough is not easy, BH do four sizes 1 being for wee folk and 4 being spot on for me. So have a nose about think interms of how tall you are and try the bags out.

Both bags are from what I have read, seen and heard are workhorse's, and well built, the Vulcan is no frills fixed back, and the Sabre is adjustable back with a few whistles and bells.

Might be worth looking at Lowe Alpines mil spec bags too not cheap but top notch and as a a third option worth a look.

Have a chat with the guys at RV ops aswell they do really know their stuff and will give you straight answers good points and bad.(no I do not have any thing to do with RV ops other than being an ex serviceman like the guys who run it)

For me though I'd opt for the vulcan (old git stuck in my ways that I am)

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I have a sabre 60-100 and i absolutely love it!! It really is extremely versatile. at full capacity i think i could nearly climb inside it. if i am on a short trip then i just reduce the size. The back sysrem is also extremely comortable!

If you have the funds then you cannot go wrong with one of these!

Dan:D

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
graon, i want a black and white answer LOL. Havent found any place in Scotland that has either for me to try and i want one by next thursday LOL.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Just downsized from Sabre 60 -100 (left my employer and they wanted it, and the Sabre 45, back:rolleyes: ) and have gone with a Sabre 75. Same high quality, and as my knowledge has increased I tend to carry less anyway. Having said that, I do have the side pockets as well, which increases capacity when needed by approx 25l.

The 60 -100 is a good bag, very versatile with all the zips and gussets for expanding / contracting its capacity, but is very heavy at nearly 4kg empty IIRC.

Can't comment on the Vulcan cos I've never tried one.

HTH

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don`t think you`re gonna get a definitive answer KK as there`s so many of us who use both, you really need to try them out for yourself dude. At least you`ve narrowed it down to two possibles which is a good start.

Has anybody ditched their Sabre and gone to a Vulcan ? The back system on my cyclopsII was positively prehistoric compared to the Sabre.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE