Berghaus crusader 3 carrying system uncomfortable

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Try that:

1.) Tighten the shoulder straps until the whole load sits on the shoulders, as high as possible.

2.) Tighten the hip belt.

3.) Open the buckles of the shoulder straps until 70 % of the load sit on the hip.

4.) Pull the load control straps above the shoulders tight , so that the rucksack comes tight to your shoulders.

5.) Play around with these options until you found the best adjustment.

I don't own such a rucksack. Perhaps the shoulder padding will soften a bit in use.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It seems so.
Size 3 is recommended for body height 170 to 183. As he is 179 cm tall it surely fits.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A common misconception. It's back length which matters, not your height. One can be tall with a short back & vice versa.
True but as a first guess one has to use something. Adjusting it is not really difficult but it does take some experience and personal preferences and body shape does affect it.

I usually do it the other way round from EW, with an empty pack tighten the belt in its proper place and then tighten the shoulder straps. The fastening of the straps should be between one's upper scapulas, if it is too high the straps have to be too tight and if it is too low the pack becomes slightly unstable. My experience is that proper adjustment starts to be useful at about 15 kg and above 26 kg it starts to be really important. Above 40 kg it is a matter of taste, it hurts what ever one does.

Reactions: MrEd and Erbswurst
Jul 11, 2021
Waterford Ireland
Try that:

1.) Tighten the shoulder straps until the whole load sits on the shoulders, as high as possible.

2.) Tighten the hip belt.

3.) Open the buckles of the shoulder straps until 70 % of the load sit on the hip.

4.) Pull the load control straps above the shoulders tight , so that the rucksack comes tight to your shoulders.

5.) Play around with these options until you found the best adjustment.

I don't own such a rucksack. Perhaps the shoulder padding will soften a bit in use.
Thanks i got it adjusted fairly well i think the shoulder straps are just very hard i measured my back originally and it was in line with size 3

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
We nowadays have the tendency to build into the rucksack straps more and more padding. It's the same with most modern boots that nowadays are comfortable already if you try them in the shop.

But the Crusader is no civil product that has to convince the client in the first moment. It's a professional piece of equipment, that's ordered by armies, tested in the field over a long period of time and afterwards, after month of use, gets corrected. The German special forces for example ordered a different more robust frame before the Berghaus Atlas got issued to the rest of the army.

Shoulder straps do not necessarily have to be soft. They rather have to be pretty rigid if you want to carry a higher load over longer distances.
A 110 litres army rucksack isn't constructed for a lightweight summer trekking equipment. The designers had a pretty high load in mind when they made this rucksack.

And the best available boots are uncomfortable over the first 500 kilometres marching distance. Nevertheless they are the best option for the next few thousand kilometres.

I can't deliver you here a remote diagnosis. But if you think that your back length fits well to the size of the rucksack it's surely rather needed to get used to it.

You always will find people who moan about issued military equipment. But the truth is that the special forces of several independent NATO armies decided to get exactly this rucksack carrying system.

Well, there are a few others too that are pretty similar and one could buy them all and try out if one or the other fits better to the own body. But nevertheless the Berhaus military carrying system is one of the best in the world.

If you assume that you are too soft or made a fault somehow it's rather likely than if you assume that Berghaus would be unable to construct a good rucksack. Especially because they got in this case feedback from the most professional users that exist in Europe.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
It might just not suit you, I had one, didn't like it for similar reasons, sold it.
been using a Long back PLCE and Karrimor SF predator occasionally.

Something I notice with the predator is if the sleep bag compartment at the bottom isn't full with sleeping bag etc, it doesn't seem to feel as comfortable.

Likewise the Bergan is shaped now that the bottom kind of sits in the small of my back and rarely need to tighten the waist strap much.

I just got a Dutch Saracen to play with just to see how it compares.

Reactions: ianmbetts

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I recently bought a Berghaus Atlas.

They recommend the folliwing sizes:
1: 153 - 165 cm
2: 160 - 173 cm
3: 170 - 183 cm
4: 183 - 198 cm

I am exactly 184 cm tall and size 3 fits me better than size 4. I have relatively long legs though.

And when I tried the size 4 it was uncomfortable at my shoulders. But size 3 is comfortable, whyever.

My shoulders aren't especially wide.
I assume that this could be a reason.

ianmbetts

Nov 2, 2022
Ireland
I am 195 and got a size 4. It fits well but I also find that my shoulders take a bit of a beating when using it with 15kg+.
A contributory factor may be that I have a 23mm leg length discrepancy.
I recently paid to have a pair of iturri cold wet weather boots resoled to add an adjustemt for the shorter leg.
I am hoping this will make a difference.
I have also purchased a Saracen but not used in anger yet, will see how things go and report back.
Currently laid up with a medical issue so may be a few weeks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE