Belt-Buckle Alternative

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Belt/Buckle Alternative

When it comes to a utility belt I’ve never been a great fan of the tradition belt buckle with a pin and a loose end that needs to be tucked away. To that end I’ve usually used a fabric belt (40 or 50mm) with a plastic, quick release, side-lock buckle and the spare adjusting material being secured internally, most often by way of hook and loop material.

My recent fabrication (in dark brown leather) of knife, saw and shovel carriers didn’t look quite right on said (olive) fabric belts and so I needed a solution which gave me a brown leather belt and with the QR buckle and no (flapping) loose end. I also wanted a small degree of adjustment for when swapping the belt from trouser waist to outer jacket waist.

The images show the result of my labours. Using a 50mm x 3mm leather strap cut into three sections, a 50mm olive side-lock buckle and 4 x 6mm screw studs I think that I’ve achieved a neat symmetrical appearance front and back, no flappy strap, QR and adjustment as required. :)

Belt-Buckle Alternative (i).jpg Belt-Buckle Alternative (ii).jpg Belt-Buckle Alternative (iii).jpg Belt-Buckle Alternative (iv).jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A very interesting idea and very well executed!
If you have no objection I would like to pinch the idea - but use some sort of metal (preferably brass) buckle - to fit with the rest of my gear....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
If it works for you, feel free to copy, antique brass might look good.

Incidentally, if anyone finds a supplier for the identical side-lock buckle (it has a very slight curve and nicely rounded edges unlike military versions) in brown, let us know. Mine was from something like an old miltec I think and I haven't seen one that colour for quite some time. :)

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
John Fenna, What about the old fashioned British Army canvas web belt from the old '37 pattern belt with the nice brass sliding trims next to the buckle. Would look very spiffy on a nice piece of thick leather.

Regards

Alan

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
I meant the old '37 pattern webbing. As invented by Lady Astor, who said the men had too much spare time. (old military saying).

Regards,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE