Belt Axe - options?

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Been thinking about investing in a mini-hatchet/belt axe for some time now. Obvious one is the GB LP designed mini-hatchet. Any other recommendations? Anyone got a Cegga belt axe? Others . . . . .???

:confused:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lee Reeves belt axe

Carlsberg don't make belt axes.....

15d5f8120.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
do you want to just buy one to use right away or do you fancy a little project and something a little more personal?

if the later is for you why not get yourself a cold steel trail hawk - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COLD-STEE...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3f1e8d9b24

out of the box they are usable but a bif factory ugly. There are a sheep load of modifications people do to them but what might be good is to just sort the head out to your liking and cut the handle right down! Once the edge has been cleaned up it can chop really well and the take down head is cool. It doesn't split brilliantly but it can and will do most moderate splitting duties expected of a axe it's size.

as you can see the edge cleans up well with a little fettling and holds a decent edge. This is mine as it is now compared to a GB small forest axe.

Picture016.jpg

gbth1.jpg

Might be worth doing, let us know what you end up with mate! :)

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
depending on your budget, I've a few small axes for sale, or you could come and make yourself one ;)

Cheers guys!

Dave - would LOVE to do a course at your place. One day! I remember a small 'hawk' you had at last year's moot? Had a blackened straight handle? Should have bought it then!!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That looks great, I particularly like the Gaffa Tape mask. :)

haha, it is rather nice isn't it! :p

if you fancied something a little bigger, cold steel do make a variety of other hawks but imo the trail hawk is the better one of the lot. Mainly because the idea behind a working hawk is that it's small, light weight and takedown/packable, the other ones are just a bit large and fall into 'axe' catagory.. and there are plenty of axes that will chop better and split far far better.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
I'm trying to decide between the Condor Greenland Hatchet,Condor WoodWorker, and Husqvarna Hatchet. I've heard they're all good choices, especially considering in the states they're under 30 quid. Anyone know which one?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE