Bell Tent UK Rules OK...!

Firstly: Thanks to all of the Bell Tent Owners on BKUK who gave me some invaluable advice on purchasing a tent for the family.

Secondly: Any glowing comments made are simply because I think they are deserved, not because I am on commission or discount scheme. We hear enough about companies when things don’t go to plan so it’s nice to hear about the good companies too.

We finally went for a 5m Bell Tent with separate groundsheet from Bell Tent UK. Despite the initial anxiety about the amount of work they had on; I was called up and my order was taken. Despite Bell Tent UK being swamped with business, the call was really friendly and very professional. Louisa who handled our order said it may take up to a week for delivery, but in actuality, the tent arrived the next day! So guess what we are doing this weekend? Brilliant service from Bell Tent UK. Although we have only unpacked it; the quality of the materials, stitching, pegs and poles appear to be very high.

I inadvertently found out through a 3rd party that the other company that was on our short list who portrays themselves as a hip, cool supplier is not as ethical as they convey. Originality and fair business ethics count for a lot with us as a family. We aren’t interested in spending our money on copycat products or sponsoring underhand tactics. Quite soulless! So we decided not to pursue any further purchases from them or in the future and gladly paid Bell Tent UK for our tent.

Thank you Bell Tent UK and thanks BKUK members for helping out on a great purchase.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Glad you found the right Bell tent for your needs :)

A top tip is to lay out the ground sheet first, axis the door in the direction you want it to open then peg out the circumference of the tent before you put the centre pole up... it saves time and makes the process a whole lot easier.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I inadvertently found out through a 3rd party that the other company that was on our short list who portrays themselves as a hip, cool supplier is not as ethical as they convey. Originality and fair business ethics count for a lot with us as a family. We aren’t interested in spending our money on copycat products or sponsoring underhand tactics. Quite soulless! So we decided not to pursue any further purchases from them or in the future and gladly paid Bell Tent UK for our tent.

If you are talking about SoulPad, then you should know that both SoulPad and belltent.co.uk both import their tents (they are not copies of each other, they are all the same tents) from a Dutch manufacturer "Obelink". You can buy direct from the obelink site (at a much reduced cost) providing you can translate into Dutch (using babelfish or similar), but they will not sell you a tent from their English language site because a trade deal with belltent.co.uk prevents them.

See: http://www.obelink.nl/ws/assortiment_overzichtpagina3.asp?cat=1&id=18&arid=6512

Last edited:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I bought 6 x 4m with integral ground sheets and 3 x 5m with separate ground sheets. There are benefits to both, particularly when cubs are rolling around in their sleep, they tend to roll out of the latter, but the former keeps them in check. They look good at camp, and they are well made...

bentley2009015.jpg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Good to know that Martyn :D, I'm still swithering.........and I know a Dutch fellow too :D

cheers,
M

Just be aware that Obelink dont put internal loops in theirs, but they do for the ones they make for belltent uk and soulpad. These loops are the attachment points for the inner tent. I think that is the only difference. You'll have to try and figure out which models are comparable to what though, as Obelink use different names for the ones they sell under their own brand. Also, you can buy them from Obelink on German ebay and they will ship to you in the UK.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
http://cgi.ebay.de/Gruppenzelt-Saha...ort_Camping_Outdoor_Zelte&hash=item3a4e233046

The only english on this ebay page states that they wont deliver to the UK!

Must've closed that door too. Looks like belltent uk is pretty keen that you pay the £120 extra to buy it from them. Even with the £20 shipping from the Netherlands, it'd still be £100 saving. Might be worth asking a friend on the continent to buy it for you and then ship to the UK, I dont think they could stop you doing that. You know I'm not sure this practice of refusing to sell to the UK is legal. I thought EU law prevented such agreements in the interests of free trade across Europe? Based on the retail price difference alone, that means belltent UK are charging you a 30% markup just because you are British. They must be buying them in for less than Obelink are selling them for in Europe, so more like a 50% profit margin for them. That's up to them, but I think the practice of telling Obelink they cant sell direct to anyone in the UK in order to protect that margin, is pretty unethical. Might be camping with soul, but it's retail without conscience.

Last edited:

antzy

Sep 8, 2010
Dorset
I have to add that Soulless don't get their tents from Obelink - their tents are copies of the BTUK ones - with a few tweaks here and there. BTUK have a deal with Obelink to be the sole UK distributors.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I have to add that Soulless don't get their tents from Obelink - their tents are copies of the BTUK ones - with a few tweaks here and there. BTUK have a deal with Obelink to be the sole UK distributors.

Gotta love monopolies. :D

Surely you mean Soulpad copy the Obelink tents that BTUK distribute? ;)

So who manufactures the copies of the Obelink tents for Soulpad? I'm pretty sure Soulpad dont make em themselves.

antzy

Sep 8, 2010
Dorset
BTUK were selling them first, I think soulpad bought some and now get them made, my guess is china (where the obelink ones are made).

Interestingly, Obelink (and therefore BTUK) had supply problems after the chinese earthquake because the materials and makers were tied up supplying the earthquake victims

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE