Bell tent/canvas tent owners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
I was hoping to get some feedback from bell tent/soulpad owners on their experience of the tent.

The wife is not massively keen on the Helsport Varanger we own due to it being dark inside and lack of side wall space (I personally love it). But is will be sold to make way for a more wife friendly tent. Also there are some really nice awnings available that can be attached to the a frame entrance of bell tent so it is raining you can still look outside with the entrance open, this is quite important to us, as is the use of a stove which we have for the Varanger.

It would really useful to hear owner’s thoughts on pros and cons, recommendations and what is it like in bad weather? Are there any issues using the stove with a bell tent? What is the difference between the main competitors?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lots of posts on here with a load of info, but in short they are great in all weathers. Stove fitted extends your camping seasons.
They breath much better than most tents so it doesnt feel like you have slept in cling-film. My better half and the boy love the tent.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would say the only downsides after a couple of years of use are,

Once wet the tent must be dried thoroughly before packing it away, failing to do so will invite mould and rot. This can be tricky with the larger tents if you dont have any access to a large dry space, Garage, carport etc.
Weight and bulk. Expect it to take up almost an entire decent size boot, more if you add a stove to the equation. Weight only adds to petrol costs really as you are not exactly going to lug it any further from the car boot to the pitch.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I went for the soulpad light 5m PIG - I've done one night, so not exactly an expert. I'll be sleeping in it at the moot though. Enough room for about 16 people I recon...

My comments would be:

- Very easy to put up
- Taking down time much longer
- Keep the poles seperate your back will thank you.
- Groundsheet feels a bit thin, but then again that's why it's much less heavy.

My initial thoughts were that it would have been nice to have had one of the ones with a flysheet around the door, but in use I doubt it'll make much difference. Watch the videos before putting it up, everything is explained.
Make sure you pack it so you know which way the entrance is.

If you goto places like gocamping (or somesuch) look at their old tent carpet range. I picked up a 5mx4.5m carpet for £30 reduced from £169. It's not perfect but fills the front half of the tent up, the rest is covered in sleeping gear.

I am making my own stove with the help of my friend using this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodburning-Stove-from-sheet-steel/

If you look at the photos you'll see how it's coming along.

A friend here has a very similar setup and he does not cook in his tent - mainly because any fat splashback will hit the tent and make it manky, so it's generally used for drinks and warmth. A spark arrestor is a must and the tent needs to be well vented when it's in use. I'd invest in a carbon monoxide alarm remembering it tends to lay low which is where you're sleeping (no point hanging it in the roof)

The PIG was fine. I'd imagine the SIG would be too heavy to errect - so it's really PIG or ZIG - remembering if the groundsheet is wet you don't want to put it on the canvas...

In terms of places to buy, here's what I researched, costs and a few basic specs. I went with Soulpad, I visited their shop, I wanted something that wouldn't break my back and came with free shipping when I was ready to pay. In retrospect, I might have gone for the canvas tent shop as I think the more traditional tent (no zips - I really hate the soulpads zip) would be a great improvement especially when trying to get a 2 yr old asleep or sneaking out for a pee in the night. However have now found blacks of Greenock and it looks very good value for money.

Blacks of Greenock - 320gsm £499 (not inc shipping) - seems to have all mod cons, I'd seriously look at this one.

http://www.blacksofgreenock.co.uk/acatalog/Solace-5-1-1.html

Canvas tent shop is much thicker (and therefore heavier) - 400gsm - £425 not inc shipping

http://www.canvastentshop.co.uk/products/canvas-tents/bell-tents/5m-bushcraft-bell-tent.aspx -has got a traditional lace up front (which is much less noisy than a zip)

Soul Pad - 285gsm - £430 inc shipping

http://soulpad.co.uk/products/soulpad-5000-lite

Obelink

They sell direct to bell tent UK. If you're over in the netherlands, you can save £100 on the tent by popping in and buying one. But financially it's not worth the journey unless you fancy your first camp over there. As it's part of the EU there's no import charges (as I understand) to bring it back either. Bell tent apparently have a monopoly on the import which is why you can't buy direct from Obelink anymore. It was this reason alone I chose not to go with bell tent UK. Soulpads tent seems to be identical.

http://www.obelink.nl/

Bell Tent UK - 285gsm £439 not inc shipping

https://www.belltent.co.uk/bell_ten..._standard_bell_tent_with_seperate_groundsheet

Boutique Bell Tents - 285gsm £439 - ZIG (though it's sky blue, there's other colours) - £9.95 shipping

http://www.boutiquecamping.com/tent...lue-bell-tent-with-zipped-in-ground-sheet-p42

Bell Tent Biz - 350gsm £649 not inc shipping

http://www.belltent.biz/products/1/124/standard_bell_tent_5m_pegged_in_groundsheet/

BCT Bell Tent - 323gsm - No price give them a call

http://www.bctbelltent.co.uk/

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
Tim thanks for that very detailed feedback appreciate it. I am drawn to soulpad as they have the flue fittings already in place on some of the models, I do not trust myself on cutting an expensive tent! I have my eye on the soulpad hybrid. I would plan to get an awning and cook under that than rather in the tent. Thanks again and Good luck with the stove building.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
For the additional price, they may well do that on the other models, it's worth a shout. As I say though, everything except the zip is fine on the soulpad - it's the lightest of the ones on offer and it's pretty heavy so don't know how bad the others would be.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Tim thanks for that very detailed feedback appreciate it. I am drawn to soulpad as they have the flue fittings already in place on some of the models, I do not trust myself on cutting an expensive tent! I have my eye on the soulpad hybrid. I would plan to get an awning and cook under that than rather in the tent. Thanks again and Good luck with the stove building.

Hi I've got the soulpad 5m hybrid with what they call the genie on the side.yer still have too cut out yourself for the flew.the genie is a flap down velcro patch that alliows you too use the tent with the flew not fitted .

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I've posted this pic on here before but here it is again yer can see the genie from the inside
u6ypubun.jpg

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
soulpad 4m here and its fantastic i went for the SIG as i didnt want to roll the sides up the hatch windows are more than sufficient mine has the mosi net in the door and windows. I dont have the stove set up as i have small children at the moment but at a later date maybe. Drying it is a must as stated and as long as you dont touch the sides when wet it can take one hell of a downpour as we found out. When other tents flooded ours just sat on top of the water like a waterbed and only a 10 pence piece size of water got in the tent. Im sorry i never got one ages ago after going through several family tents.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
After months of searching and research, we have finally settled on Blacks (of Greenock), not the other one!

I was looking also at SoulPad, but they seemed very reticent about us going to their showroom and showing a tent, so I just dismissed them there and then.

Northstar seemed to have a nice tent, but they are just "sellers on" and seemed little interested in the technical side of their tents, so I dismissed them too.

Blacks of G., had very little info./imagery on their site, but in correspondence have proved very helpful, with repairs and spares available. The overall tent package as has been said above, seemed very good, and a very reasonable deal has now been struck to include a second heavier duty groundsheet, inner tent (probably won't use though) and extension tarp and poles. And free delivery.

I wondered if still using a Good Companion may give a loyalty discount!!

Anyway, they are holding onto to it until late winter, so I don't faff about with it in the damp and dank winter!

We'll see what's what when it arrives?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
After months of searching and research, we have finally settled on Blacks (of Greenock), not the other one!

I was looking also at SoulPad, but they seemed very reticent about us going to their showroom and showing a tent, so I just dismissed them there and then.

Northstar seemed to have a nice tent, but they are just "sellers on" and seemed little interested in the technical side of their tents, so I dismissed them too.

Blacks of G., had very little info./imagery on their site, but in correspondence have proved very helpful, with repairs and spares available. The overall tent package as has been said above, seemed very good, and a very reasonable deal has now been struck to include a second heavier duty groundsheet, inner tent (probably won't use though) and extension tarp and poles. And free delivery.

I wondered if still using a Good Companion may give a loyalty discount!!

Anyway, they are holding onto to it until late winter, so I don't faff about with it in the damp and dank winter!

We'll see what's what when it arrives?
I think you've made the right decision there Sir, there's a lot to be said for a good service and customer support.
Looking forward to reading and seeing your outings with this new purchase...👍

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I think you've made the right decision there Sir, there's a lot to be said for a good service and customer support.
Looking forward to reading and seeing your outings with this new purchase...��

Me too, but thank you! Patience, virtue.... and all of that.............dammit!lol!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE