belarus?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
hey hey.
me an my brother have started mulling over the idea of spending a month in the belarus forest on the poland border next year an i wondered if any of you had been there before and what to expect.
like am i going to be woken up by soldiers because my basha has camo print on it? etc

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
hey hey.
me an my brother have started mulling over the idea of spending a month in the belarus forest on the poland border next year an i wondered if any of you had been there before and what to expect.
like am i going to be woken up by soldiers because my basha has camo print on it? etc

The first thing to do is search through Google Earth for military instillation located in your possible camp area and then contact the embassy and ask them what the limitations are as well as Off Limits locations. Camo gear isnt an issue in those sorts of areas as most of the public use ex-military items in Eastern Europe as part of their daily routine.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Don't forget the visa! I just had a quick look at the visa requirements for Belarus and it seems very similar to those of Russia which I'm familiar with.

You'll need to get a tourist invitation from a hotel or tourist agency confirming that you've booked with them before you can apply for your visa, then when you get there you'll need to have your visa and passport registered by the tour operator or hotel with the local government office (OVIR in Russia, no idea what it's called in Belarus) or police station withing 72 hours of entering the country. If you're not planning to stay in a hotel you can usually pay a token fee for the tourist invitation and then another fee when you get there to register your visa and passport at the hotel even though you won't be staying there. If you don't register you will have problems when you try leave the country and a hefty fine. If the police stop you after the 72 hour period and you still don't have your visa registered then you're looking at a bribe or spending some time at the local police station for a slapped wrist.

As I say, that's what I know about Russia from the last time I visited in 2004 so details may be slightly different but in general from what I've just read the system is similar.

Puchal

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2010
Poland, Warsaw
Hi I'm not trying to promote my home country, but please reconsider this again.
Belarus is beautiful country. People, especially in the rural areas are nice, and friendly. You should not fear anything from them. But you definitely should be concerned about beurocracy
You both will need visa to get through the border.
I assume, that you will fly to Poland, and cross the border by foot, or by car. Right? Then you may expect severe problems with custom officers from Belarus. They will be asking you for various permits, grants, checking on your gear (forget about taking your favourite bushcraft knife), funds, cash, etc. I know what I'm talking about, because my parents in law leave in Moscow, and frequently drive from Moscow to Warsaw. Last time, they waited on Polish - Belarusian border for 3 hours. Why? During one of the stops at rest areas near by Belarusian highway, they cleaned up the ashtray at the car, and frown away the pay toll receipts. Those were necessary to prove that they drove straight from Russian border to Poland.
Don't get me wring. There is nothing bad about the people, or the country. It is just about the system.
I understand that you chaps are looking for real wilderness, with real virgin forests, uninhabited...
Why don't you consider Biesczady Mountains? Have you heard of Transylvania? :) Well Biesczady are the part of Carpathian Range. After 1948, when bloody war between Polish troops and Ukrainian underground movement ended with so called "Operation Vistula" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Vistula), the whole Bieszczady was no-man land. Abandoned villages, burned to the ground settlements were reclaimed by nature. Although some of the people returned in 70's, still it is inhabited by relatively low number of people. More you will find here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bieszczady_Mountains.
You can also consider Romanian parts of Carpats. I'm not en expert here, but I can hook you up with people how go there frequently.
In one month I will be in Bieszczady again, and will post some pics.
In the meantime you can goole more on this topic yourself, and also visit my small gallery from January excursion:
http://picasaweb.google.pl/bialoleczanin/BeszczadzkiProlog69012010?feat=directlink
Alternatively, visit albums of my good friend, Doczu, who knows Tatras, Bieszczady and Romanian Carpats like his own palm.
http://picasaweb.google.pl/doczu30

Regards
Puchal

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Having lived in poland 20 years ago, waiting at the border is normal. Once I waited 3 days in a queue in germany getting into poland in a HGV. 3 hours is nothing.

Its right that the border checkpoint is so strict the amount of crap that comes into poland from russia. Anyone remember the IRA containers?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE