Being an Iron Age Trader

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just got in from a "Totally Tribal" day out at Castell Henllys Iron Age Fort in West Wales.
As well as myself demo-ing Flint and Steel firelighting and letting children (young and Old) have a go at a quid a time (amazing how much flint and charcloth not to mention dry grass was consumed!) there were Carl Lee doing Flint Knapping demos and teaching the basics, folk with a Pole lathe demo-ing and teaching and making Gypsy Roses as well as the site staff doing the grand tour of this great Iron Age site.
I was selling my craft goodsas well - and now will have to get making more stock as they nearly cleared the lot - I did £100 more trade than my previous best at one of these events!
I recommend Castell Henllys to everyone - even when there is no "Event" on the place is more than worth a visit.
Naturally I was dressed in full Iron Age garb and had a selection of Spears to show and tell.
I was honoured to be asked to light the "Wicker Man" using Flint and Steel as the climax of the closing ceremony.
I met loads of great folk and if they enjoyed the day half as much as I did they had a great day out .. I had not time to eat drink or even Pee all day such was the pace of things - the day was dry, the site mud free and - I have been told - much better than the Bushcraft show on all fronts :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great stuff John,
it has been a while since I visited Castell Henllys, but the staff there are the best I've ever seen at any similar (don't want to use the word "attraction") site (is somewhat more appropriate).

How far in advance do you get to know about these days as I'll try to time a visit for when you're there sometime.

Some photos wouldn't go amiss.......

Ogri the trog

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Ive still never visited here. Its one of those annoying things... that if somethings local you never "get around" to seeing these places. Unlike when your visiting and ensure you do.

Sounds like a great day was had though, and to be honest disappointed I didnt make it (or know it was going on).

Glad you had a great time and have a new record to beat.....

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent! We should be going this August. We've not been there since the lads were tiny, they should appreciate a lot more now, they were impressed enough by little Iron Age compound at St. Fagans last year with just the one demonstrator in residence.

ATB

Tom

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Excellent! We should be going this August. We've not been there since the lads were tiny, they should appreciate a lot more now, they were impressed enough by little Iron Age compound at St. Fagans last year with just the one demonstrator in residence.

ATB

Tom

Totally Tribal days in August - 12th and 19th
I will be at the Moot for the first one but attending the second one :)
I might even have some crafts left to sell!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Monday and today we were at Chysauster, Cornwall, also presenting life in the Iron Age but although we wore kit on Monday we were modern today. Mostly do our presentation there as a show and tell with the emphasis on the ordinariness of life then as now. people had to earn a living, eat and have clothes to wear. We talk about the tin and copper trade and smelting. Fibres of various sorts from nettles to wool and flax along with woven goods are displayed along with a selection of Iron Age shoes.
10313811_475918862538915_8668069824910804693_n.jpg

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Apologies for the saddle quern on display. We know its more Bronze Age but we can't afford or carry a rotary one. However, small children love grinding flour on it.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That sounds great! I will try to make a date for the last one in August but my summers crazy....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE