Beginners Bone Carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Would like to have a go at bone carving, with a hope to making a few small artefacts (needles, buckles, hooks, etc...).

Can anyone recommend a guide on how to process the bone into a state where I can carve it?

I get on well with my butcher and she's generally ok giving me which ever bones I ask for, but I am not sure which bones, from which animals are most suitable to make what from. Can anyone offer any guidance?

Thanks

Julia

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Leg of cow and horse are rather stout-walled, which gives you plenty of material to work with. Shoulder blades are very thin-walled, which is good for certain types of things.

Rear lower leg bones of deer in the US have a very rectilinear cross-section that makes them dandy for bow-drill fire spindle adapters. Don't know if you have access to similar in Kent, though it is something to keep in mind. Usually, the flat sections are a great size for needles, arrowheads, etc.

Processing the bone? I like to work them when they are as fresh as possible. This has a bit of a stink factor since you're dealing with marrow and the like, but the bone is at its softest while still green. I cheat and use modern tools as much as possible. Usually the shank of the bone is where all your good bits are (who really uses the knuckles?) so I cut them loose and pitch the rest to the dogs.

If the bone has already dried naturally, you can soak it in water for a bit to add some softness back to it and keep the dust down.

Working the bone is very easy with even rudimentary hand tools. I use pitch glue to hold the bone pieces to a larger piece of wood that serves as a handle. You can get the bone very very thin doing this, so be careful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE