beginners(?) atlatl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
Here Is a brief pictorial on how to make a really easy but very effective atlatl. I saw this design demonstrated by a guy called Russel Richards he said it's a good one for people new to throwing. It's also good for people who don;t have lots of access to natural materials.
You'll need
an overflow pipe
a "u" tube for an overflow pipe
knife
duct tape (optional)
hacksaw
step1:
cut the overflow pipe to the desired length.
primwep038ye7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I use the above method from finger tips to mid bicep. Atlatls are personal to the throwers size. The longer the atlatl the more power but if an atlatl is to long it will overpower the darts and become quite tricky to use and innnacurate. Make sure the atlatl is long enough that your hand grips in front of the fletchings (especially if you are using full length feathers).
Step 2: Cut the spur:
Cut an "X" into the thrower where you want the spur to go.
primwep040mq4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I like quite a pointy spur. The spur and the nock of the dart have to compliment each other and if you use deep nocks then carve a more rounded spur. Make sure the spur will fit comfortably in the nock but not too securely.
step3:
Carve into the "X" to create the spur and hollow. With this design the tip of the dart will end up pointing up. If you want the dart to be high then a small hollow is needed. Personally I wanted the dart to be angled lower so I carved a larger hollow.
primwep045nm3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Step 4:
fit the U-tube and remainder of the pipe. Place dart on the spur and cut off how much pipe you'll need for the dart rest.
primwep042uc1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
step 5:
carve a groove for the dart to rest in.
primwep044ob5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

step 6: fit it all together and if you like secure with tape. it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to make.
primwep047us2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

personally I don't like rests but they should make the whole thing a bit easier to use and will allow you to think more about hitting the target than gripping the dart. This set up works best with light darts.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
palmnut said:
Any chance of some words on making a suitable, simple, dart please?

When I was at the Christmas Moot I made some darts simply from some straight/ vertical elder stems. I simply removed any side branches and had the thin end as the knock end (back end) and the thicker end as the pointy end (blunt in this case).

In my local park there are some 15 foot high bamboos from which I am cutting most of my darts - Just a straight bamboo cut down to 6 - 7 feet.

I am not too good about the points yet but you cam make them fly pretty fast and accurate.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Biddlesby said:
Rich, do you put any sort of mass on the end of your bamboo darts?
Mostly no, the bigger diameter of the lower end seems to make a natural weight. A heavier front end seems to improve my accuracy though. For the meet back in February I did weight the front end with a cord whipping, smeared in earth and then over glued - starting about 6 inches back from the point.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
donlt worry about missing the one in feb just come along to the one in may (weather will be lots better!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE