Beginner Woodcarving - Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
This is uncalled for. No, really. It is. I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but if it's not then I feel this needs to be reported. I can't believe I'm actually being harrased because I'm speaking about Bushcraft. People speak about tools here all the time and do they get this treatment? You're basically telling me to stop talking and just "go and do it". You're refusing me the right to actually ask people about these things. I'm in a mind to report you, I really am. This thread was fine up until you posted. I hope others can see that I've said NOTHING to this person.

Lighten up... it's a joke.

What Colin is saying is spoon carving is a go and do it and learn from it experience, not a talk it to death technical debate.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Forty posts and all you have is a log. This is not harassment. this is incentive.
... I JUST started the thread. That log is there because it was outside. I wrote this thread at night, so I couldn't work on it. Incentive or not I can definitely feel you have a problem with me to get angry over such a thing. Maybe if you realised that it's night time and I'm planning to work on it you wouldn't be so angry? I simply don't have the tools. I said this was a placeholder thread. What's hard to understand about this? Why are you attacking me and getting angry about? Just because there are forty posts doesn't mean it's been going for a few days. If anything the fact that I started researching this project and asking advice even when I know I can't work on it just yet shows that I really do want to. Do you need any more proof that what you said to me just now was completely uncalled for?

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
... I JUST started the thread. That log is there because it was outside. I wrote this thread at night, so I couldn't work on it. Incentive or not I can definitely feel you have a problem with me to get angry over such a thing. Maybe if you realised that it's night time and I'm planning to work on it you wouldn't be so angry?

CHILL OUT... It's a JOKE. I can see that... others can see that. There is no anger or malice in what Colin said.

All Colin was trying to do was to encourage you to DO something rather than talk it to death. Fine it's dark, but you can work by the light of electricity.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
... I JUST started the thread. That log is there because it was outside. I wrote this thread at night, so I couldn't work on it. Incentive or not I can definitely feel you have a problem with me to get angry over such a thing. Maybe if you realised that it's night time and I'm planning to work on it you wouldn't be so angry? I simply don't have the tools. I said this was a placeholder thread. What's hard to understand about this? Why are you attacking me and getting angry about? Just because there are forty posts doesn't mean it's been going for a few days. If anything the fact that I started researching this project and asking advice even when I know I can't work on it just yet shows that I really do want to. Do you need any more proof that what you said to me just now was completely uncalled for?

Cor blimey. There was me thinking this thread of yours would be different. I thought you had taken on board comments from your other thread. Finally.

Just chill a bit.

An old boss of mine used to say 'don't e-mail emotion'. Might be something to think on.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
CHILL OUT... It's a JOKE. I can see that... others can see that. There is no anger or malice in what Colin said.

All Colin was trying to do was to encourage you to DO something rather than talk it to death. Fine it's dark, but you can work by the light of electricity.
I just moved house. I don't know where the axe or if I even have one at this time and I sure couldn't find it now.

I get the feeling that Bushcraft UK does not like planning threads. This is all that was. I said it was a planning thread from the very start, so the fact that people get so angry that I'm not doing anything is just extraordinary.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Cor blimey. There was me thinking this thread of yours would be different. I thought you had taken on board comments from your other thread. Finally.

Just chill a bit.

An old boss of mine used to say 'don't e-mail emotion'. Might be something to think on.
I have done nothing wrong. Surely you see how illogical it is to complain about someone not doing something when they explicitly say that it's a planning thread?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I think it was just meant in jest, as a joke meaning good spoon carving comes from experience.

It can be hard to understand wether someone is serious or not but I think this was just meant as a joke :).

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I get the feeling that Bushcraft UK does not like planning threads. This is all that was. I said it was a planning thread from the very start, so the fact that people get so angry that I'm not doing anything is just extraordinary.

Do you have a sense of humour, can't you see Colin was having a joke with you????

As for planning... the forum does like them and is happy to join in with the questions raised. But there comes a time where the person asking the questions has to say 'Ok guys, thanks for the help. I think I understand and am off to do what it was I was going to do.'

This is a simple spoon you're wanting to carve, not a major expedition being planned. Just lighten up, go carve it and post a pic of the finished item and tell how it went.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I think it was just meant in jest, as a joke meaning good spoon carving comes from experience.

It can be hard to understand wether someone is serious or not but I think this was just meant as a joke :).
If it was a joke then I don't see why he'd put those specific emotes. And it's not about whether it was a joke, it's the fact that he knew I was planning and he knew I couldn't work on it yet he berates me for talking too much. That's the part that's actually rude and uncalled for.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Do you have a sense of humour, can't you see Colin was having a joke with you????

As for planning... the forum does like them and is happy to join in with the questions raised. But there comes a time where the person asking the questions has to say 'Ok guys, thanks for the help. I think I understand and am off to do what it was I was going to do.'

This is a simple spoon you're wanting to carve, not a major expedition being planned. Just lighten up, go carve it and post a pic of the finished item and tell how it went.

I was talking about the axes! I wanted to know the cheapest make. What is this, some sort of regime where someone is limited in what they can say? :confused::eek:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
If it was a joke then I don't see why he'd put those specific emotes. And it's not about whether it was a joke, it's the fact that he knew I was planning and he knew I couldn't work on it yet he berates me for talking too much. That's the part that's actually rude and uncalled for.

Different people do have different senses of humor I suppose, but In all honesty I don't think anyone meant to offend you :).

Last edited:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
That is the problem with email, texts etc. You can't always read the intended emotion or humour.

I'm still new here but have never really found any of the folks here to be angry. Just a little humour I think.:)

Anyway, what have you got planned for your next project?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I was talking about the axes! I wanted to know the cheapest make. What is this, some sort of regime where someone is limited in what they can say? :confused::eek:

I give up... :sigh:

As Stew said... you seem to over react and you don't seem have an understanding of humour.

Good luck with planning your spoon. I'll look forward to seeing it whenever you eventually get round to doing it.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Plus one to the idea of battoning the log. Takes 2 minutes and you're away with your spoon. Some folks get off on the planning, some the doing. Nobody needs reporting, you have a spoon to finish. No time for that!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'm going to close this thread as the original reason has been covered and the rest is going round in circles
I think we'd all be interested to see the finished result once you have the tools, wood and time to complete it
Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE