Begining Facebook for the Social Network Averse

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have been browbeaten into this by my fellow classmates and tutors who think its near to sliced bread...

I am surly and suspicious and not at all socialble. (I am Tengu for a reason...)

What to do and what not to do?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I deleted mine about 5 years ago and never looked back. I wouldn't start if I were you.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Like everything, it is exactly what you make of it. Don't accept friend requests from utter strangers or from people you know but do not like, learn what the security settings are and what they do, make it viewable to friends only, do not, under any circumstances, play Facebook games. It's useful and informative if you let it be, it's also maddening and annoying if you let it be.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't be browbeaten by anyone. I had to have an account to look up some gun club competition details. My only post reads "I'm not a fifteen year old girl so I don't do Facebook". People still send requests to be my " friend". Idiots.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It's good for sharing photos with family. My privacy is set pretty high. No one can ask to friend me up. But I don't include work colleagues on there. I have a few people from the forum whom I've come to respect and share interests. All but one I've met. It's good for groups such as a sloyd spoon carving one and a few leather working ones.

Overall my experience had been positive but I control it and work in the industry so I know the pitfalls.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I use it mainly to keep in touch and share pictures with family that live abroad. Can be a pain at times but can also be very useful. I'm a member of some of the local bushcraft groups and regularly meet up.
Use it to your advantage but don't let it take over like so many do.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Three absolute MUSTS if you do open an account for whatever reason:

DO NOT use your real name - I know their rules say you have to, but break their rules, they're not your rules.

DO NOT use your actual date of birth. This goes for any organisation which asks for, but doesn't have a legal mandate or requirement for, your accurate personal information. LIE! Be like the Queen, have two birthdays. For those organisations where you are REQUIRED to use your accurate information then use it. For everywhere else, use a consistent lie, because a consistent lie is easy to maintain.

DO use a disposable email address! e.g. tengu-facebook-123@yahoo.co.uk - if you decide to lose the failbook account, you can similarly abandon the disposable email address - if you use an address you use elsewhere you will periodically (yes even after deleting an account) receive reminders/prompts/please come backs etc.

Best bet... avoid avoid avoid. It's Internet cancer... and that's not a word I use lightly.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Came off pretty much straight after joining. A friend of mine from Manchester asked me to join so i could see photo's of trips he did, but i found it annoyed me greatly especially as you get requests from people you didnt like years ago wanting to be "friends" and people talking utter rubbish or posting pics about what they had for breakfast etc!!!

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I find Facebook useful but I treat it as a tool under my control.

Adze's advice is good.
Go through the security settings and tie everything down as private as you can get it. It's easy enough to loosen it if you want to.
Don't friend anyone out of duty. Don't hesitate to unfriend anyone whose company you don't enjoy.
A fake date of birth is important. You'd be amazed how much information can be gleaned from most people's online activities and you can bet your life that the scammers are doing it.

Last edited:

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Three absolute MUSTS if you do open an account for whatever reason:

DO NOT use your real name - I know their rules say you have to, but break their rules, they're not your rules.

DO NOT use your actual date of birth. This goes for any organisation which asks for, but doesn't have a legal mandate or requirement for, your accurate personal information. LIE! Be like the Queen, have two birthdays. For those organisations where you are REQUIRED to use your accurate information then use it. For everywhere else, use a consistent lie, because a consistent lie is easy to maintain.

DO use a disposable email address! e.g. tengu-facebook-123@yahoo.co.uk - if you decide to lose the failbook account, you can similarly abandon the disposable email address - if you use an address you use elsewhere you will periodically (yes even after deleting an account) receive reminders/prompts/please come backs etc.

Best bet... avoid avoid avoid. It's Internet cancer... and that's not a word I use lightly.

+ 100% ... Well said Sir !

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Only have 'friends' you know.

You've been on here for years and shared much of your life and thoughts with complete strangers so I'd not worry about Facebook.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most things have been covered already so I'll only add one more thought. Under no circumstances should you post anything that you wouldn't want a potential employer or your future children/grandchildren to see.

That bit of advice is true anywhere online.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I barely use the thing and log in about three times a year to wish happy birthday to those parts of the sandbender diaspora who don't use email.

This article on 'Lifehacker' takes you through a step by step process of locking down your account as best be can be done.

Edited to add:

I find the user interface for facebook impossible to navigate, maybe I just don't use it enough but it looks like it was put together by a team of children and chimps randomly rearranging the various sections.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I just treat Facebook like a forum.

I find it odd that people get so up in the air about facing (where its generally people you know already) but are quite happy to go on web forums (where they generally didn't know people beforehand)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Don't be browbeaten by anyone. I had to have an account to look up some gun club competition details. My only post reads "I'm not a fifteen year old girl so I don't do Facebook". People still send requests to be my " friend". Idiots.

I couldn't agree more; that's all you need to know, Tengu :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE