beeswax

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Hi , i am looking to get some beeswax for sheaths and stuff ,what am i looking for i noticed there are different grades etc.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
I don't know about different grades , apart from " soap making beeswax " and just " beeswax " . There are lots of different grades pre end product but had no idea about end product . Is the grade more to do with the mix ratio ?
So , to sum up , I don't know .
Trev .

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've used 100% beeswax candles out of Aldi/lidl for waxing thread and bowstrings, couldn't really tell the difference between that and the block of beeswax I bought from somewhere... lePrevo??

Cheers,

Alan

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I was looking on the bay and there are a few different grades refined , cosmetic use etc.some look a yellow colour and some are white confusing.........

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Contact your nearest bee keeper/ co-op setup and ask them. You don't need any fancy stuff, just plain ordinary wax.

cheers

R.B.

Edit: Raw wax is perfectly okay for dipping sheaths etc,it's just usually a good bit darker than refined wax. you'll have to put it in something like a linen or even a muslin bag, then heat it very gently till the wax starts to melt, seeping through the bag, leaving the crappy bits behind in the bag.

Last edited:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Beeswax is beeswax! There is raw, that needs to be filtered to get all the bits/dead bees...out, then you can buy little cakes of it, nice darkish yellow; I'd think the white stuff you've seen is not beeswax as such, probably the stuff you make cheap candles out of.

That's what it looks like, £2.35 for 25g from here.
_639__65847__.jpg

You can find them all over the place, probably cheaper with a bit of search, I have bought some from Farmer's Markets too. Even Ebay if you can stomach the place!!!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You see, it only took a matter of time before the wax experts emerged from wherever wax experts hang out during the week.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
That's what it looks like, £2.35 for 25g from here.
_639__65847__.jpg

You can find them all over the place, probably cheaper with a bit of search, I have bought some from Farmer's Markets too. Even Ebay if you can stomach the place!!!

I would definately do a search , a 25-30 g block shouldn't be more than 50-75p
Trev .

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
You see, it only took a matter of time before the wax experts emerged from wherever wax experts hang out during the week.

Heha ,
In my case it was my first alcohol in a week , loosened up my internet communication mode ( more typing less reading ). No expert , just got that boozebuzz .
Cheers ,Trev .

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE