Beech, Oak or Walnut whats best for a novice knifemaker

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
grumit, has very kindly out of the blue sent me a knife blank and lanyard tube [gratis],i am over the moon and want to do a top job.

here is a picure of the blank he sent me

P1040219.jpg

Wood is Beech, Oak or Walnut

these are for sale in the classifieds pictures are pretty poor and i am clueless.

i prefer darker colours,which is easiest to work with,the most stable.

do i need a liner between the wood and the blade

where is the best place for bolts,varnish etc.

any views appreciated.

i cant wait to start on this project

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
OK - this is an answer from a woodworker rather than a knifemaker. Beech is not very water-resistant so if you intend to use your knife in inclement weather it might be best avoided unless you finish it with something impermeable. Oak and walnut are both beautiful woods to use. Try and get quarter sawn oak showing off its medullary rings for the best effect. I've made a couple of knives only but I used liners both times.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used Honduran Walnut scales on my first & only knife. And I personally think it turned out ok, and its still going strong...but at the same time as I fitted the scales onto my knife John Fenna put oak scales onto my other knife which also turned out really nice and the grain in the wood looked really good with the damascus blade that the scales were fitted too......hard choice fella!
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26479&highlight=

Last edited:

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
thanks for the tips i ordered the oak [as it seemed typical English] from the classified.

now i need some 4mm bolts,would you go for a liner as well?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
You don't NEED liners as such but they are often used.

I'm making a knife with walnut scales at the moment but I won't be using any liners.

Andy

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I would advise liners if your using oak matey as there is some thing in the oak that accelerates corrosion when in direct contact with steel, something i picked upon BB so i assume its correct

Also they look purdy

Dave

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I would advise liners if your using oak matey as there is some thing in the oak that accelerates corrosion when in direct contact with steel, something i picked upon BB so i assume its correct

Also they look purdy

Dave

I'd go along with this - people often use copper nails or brass screws with oak as steel ones corrode.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE