Bee nest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have got a bees nest in my back garden, what should I do?
It is in a bird box about five feet up on the fence, so it is out of the way of the dog and the kids will know not to touch it.
It is no problem at the moment, was quite relaxing watching the coming and going, but is it likely to develop into a problem?
I don't know anything about bees and their habits really, so need to know if I will have swarms of bees later in the year, got three kids and don't want to have a no go area in our small back garden.
A few questions really, if it is likely to be a problem later do I trash the nest, I have done it in the past with wasp nests but I would like to leave this if it is safe.
Is there a "greener" way, such as a local beekeeper if I could find one, or would they just destroy the nest, I could do that myself if needed.
And if it is safe to leave it, is there a practical way of "harvesting" honey and wax and how and when would I go about it?

My ideal I suppose would be to leave it and collect some honey and wax later on, but my priority has to be safety of my family, so I would like to know any likely outcomes of leaving it in situ.

I am assuming there are a few apiarists amongst us who could help, Thanks :)

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I understand your point Goose I would call someone in to identify the breed first. I remember watching an article on TV some years back about a family got a nest of masonry bees in there house that nested within the walls. Created so much damage it ended up an insurance job to clear them out and restore the house.
Dave.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Andy,

The local beekeeper round here regularly collects swarms from trees etc. and is happy to do it. I don't know how he would go about removing them from a nest box but I'm sure its could be done. I'd give your local one a call (oddly the old bill probably would have a number, alternatively the local bee keeping association could help). Without a proper hive and frames etc. I on't think its likely you could harvest honey (I think you need to keep the queen separate from the cells etc. but I'm no bee keeper)

Red

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
All sound advice really, if you leave the bees where they are they will just keep on as they are. Although with such a small space you may find that they produce the occasional swarm. You wouldnt be able to harvest directly from the nest box too easily however you could allways transfer them into a hive and start as a beekeeper :)
whichever route you take your local beekeepers association branch will be more than happy to help try here for a contact:bbka.com
I know the people at the Southport branch but i think there is something closer ill let you know if i find out more.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Thanks for the advice, and the link. I have just had a quick look at the bbka site and I think I have bumble bees. I will take a proper look later, but their advice is just to leave them to get on with it, they shouldn't swarm and rarely sting. I think if this is the case I will leave them be( :rolleyes: ) and try and get some pics.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
if they're bumble's keep them for sure.

they are excellent pollinators, usually quite friendly things too.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
If it is bumblebees they produce excellent honey. It was common to collect their honey in the old days. It is collected in the early autumn.

Remember to swap their honey with sugar or they will not survive the winter.

Torjus Gaaren

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
Live and let live... :)

If they are really not affecting your everyday life...just enjoy...go and talk with them! ;)

I have a pair of siberian jays which always seem to nest too early at my summer cabin in Lapland...they have managed to put me off a building project for the past 4 years now...

Marko :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE