Bee mites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
I have run a search on this - my apologies if this repeats something I have missed.

Came a cross a Bee outside the cottage yesterday evening - up at circa 900 ft in sunny Morayshire. He/she was soaking up the last of the evening heat on some planking. Went out this morning to find still there and looking a bit shakey. So I put out a few drops of pure honey - which definately got a response; could virually hear the slurping! :)

Things were a bit livelier about an hour later and patient definately a lot perkier - but still something amiss. On very close inspection I could see two bands of pink/grey lumps ( like minature eggs ) one under the wind stem and another round the back of the head. Scrutiny with a lens showed them to be hundreds of mites.

A search on the internet indicated bee-keepers roll the bee in a jar of ether, then wip it out quick and fingers crossed they survive! Seems a bit severe!

I tried some solvent through a needle oil dispenser, gently passing it close over the mites. This did get them to drop by the dozens, but many remained apparently embedded. Bee has ambled about the plank most of today, but on going out about twenty minutes ago he was dead.

Suppose hard to use Mitakuye Oyasin argument when I was happily drugging and squishing the mites, also appreciate danger in overt 'bambism'. However, I would like to have done better by that Bee.

Anyone here a suitable expert? What is the best I can do for - a. early season bees and b. treating mites?

Many thanks

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
If it is the Varroa mite I believe there is a pesticide you can put in the hive if the infestation is bad. My friend Mary has had good success with using a screened bottom board on the hive. Apparently the bees groom them off they fall on the ground and are unable to get back into the hive.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
If it was a lone bee then Im afraid theres not a lot you can do for it. and as callous as it may seem at the busiest time of year it is probably one of around 60 000 so wont be missed.

The social security system in a honey bee colony isnt quite the same as we have ;)
In fact one could argue that their system could be applied to ours. On hatching the younger bees stay in the hive and do the various duties required of a bee. for athe females its tending to the queen, tidying, cooling, nannying, making cells etc. the blokes just loiter and eat honey until a new queen emerges then they all chase her one lucky one gets to be the king (if you know what I mean ;) tho' that is short lived cos he dies straight after they get friendly (in fact she flies off with his vitals :eek: )

Trick is when the workers get older they become foragers which is the hardest task and inevitibly they die away from the hive so any infections and ailments tend to be kept out of the hive.

The varroa mite can be treated tho' overuse of the treatment is creating a supermite and thats why a lot of beekeepers are getting worried.

Ill leave it ay that but happy to answer any other questions.

OH and BTW before the male contingent think what a life it would be to be a bee. every once in a while the women get sick of the blokes and kick them all out. If you will forgivr the anthropomorphism

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Maverix/ Hollowdweller

Thank you for the info.

I popped out to the library but could only find books about hives.

The old forester did keep several hives - but the last went ten years back. Closest hives ( by which I mean man-made) is probably two/ three miles away.

These single bees seem to appear up here about May onwards, never found a natural hive, but have seen individuals heading into a very old Cherry tree - lots of splits and cracks.

Ashamed to confess I know nothing about these creatures - probably coming through in what I write.

Any good books available on 'natural bees'?

Thank you again for your help.

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
bees tend to come in two flavours
1. Communal hive bees

2. Solitary big fat ground nesting bees - aka bumble bees

if it had a white bum then it was probably a bumble bee.

one bee keeper we know recommends covering mite infested bees with icing sugar, this then makes them clean themselves and loose the mites

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
sounds like veroa. Most honey bee colonies in teh UK now have it to a greater or lesser extent

To treat it you can use antibiotic strips in the brood chamber. These do not get rid of the mite but stop the infection they carry - this si what is developing resistances.

or you can use thymol (thyme oil) crystals - used in conjunction with bottom screens.

Bee will travel upto 3 miles from the hive to collect necta and pollen.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Thank you kindly again for the info.

Quite humbling and a little disgraceful to realise how little I know about this creature ( realise I'm opening myself wide for 'birds and bees' comments - leave it! ).

Dont recall white rear end, but would have categorised as 'big n fat' ( kinda close to home there! ).

Will keep an eye out in the coming weeks and will certainly try the sugar approach if I come across any more carriers.

Ditto keeping eye out for a good book on the topic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE