Bee Flies.....(Picc Heavy)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As we were out in the woods today there were absolutley stacks of bee flies around. I know they are relatively uncommon and many people have seen one of the "furry humming birds" as I think of them so here are a few photos

3414260791_bdb3c3b3bd_o.jpg

3414260769_e86a0d7530_o.jpg

3415103128_1c6bf79ee3_o.jpg

Lovely little things

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tiny things really - smaller than a honey bee...like a quarter of a bumble bee?

Clearly the proboscis doubles their length!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cant say ive ever seen those (or noticed) before, great clear close ups pics, and yep they dont half have a long proboscis. To me they look like a cross between a moth and a fly.

Mang

Settler
Nice pics. We get them round my way I think they are nice insects that probably wish they didn't have a big conk as I bet loads have their brains bashed into their butts by folk thinking it will bite.

I always think that they look like they have fur and they are a fly that think they are a bee rather than the other way round?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indded - they are parisitoidal on solitary bees (and others such butterflies, grasshoppers and crickets). They lay eggs in soil near the "host". Their larvae feed on immature members of the host species

They do genuinely hover like humming birds and drink nectar - amazing to watch. I have found a large colony this year and hope to get a picture of hovering / nectar drinking

Lovely little things - furry indeed Mang and yes a fly not a bee!

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Never seen one of those, are they only found down south?

I've seen some brightly coloured ones in Menorca which hover and feed on nectar and are quite a size for an insect, almost as large as the smallest hummingbirds!

Smoggy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All over the UK smoggy - but I have only seen them in the Southern parts. Usually I see them on heath and downland type areas - thin soil and not too wooded. The breed on ground nesting bees, grasshoppers etc. so I guess that explains why.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE