Bedroll

barking badger

Forager
Aug 2, 2011
derbyshire
i bought one its ok for summer use but its a bit snug for me and it doesn't pack down very small all i did with mine was button it together and tried it in the house its a good idea but not for me

Sent from my GT-I9100

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive had 6 of these up to now. the dog has 2 blankets, 1 blanket in each car, my mum nicked 1 and i still have one for me :) I love them but perhaps not for their intended purpose

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
I have one of these too and for the price, it is a cracking piece of kit.

The outer shell on its own is a roomy and a half decent bivvy bag, the inner blankets keep you very warm and take a bit of the edge off hard ground.

It is an awkward bugger to carry though, especially if you add a self inflating mat to the roll for comfort.

Now it is getting warmer, I've swapped out the blankets for a jungle bag I picked up at a surplus shop. Taking out the sleep mat, it now packs down a lot smaller and is a doddle to carry.

Having reduced the carry size, just to make life interesting, I have also picked up a polish army sleep mat, which is big, heavy and another awkward bugger to carry, but does fit in the outer shell and imo is the most comfortable, if least practical, sleep mat I have ever used. I'll not be using this mat on my hiking adventures (unless I can find an XL compression sack and go minimal and ultralight with the rest of the kit I'll be carrying) but it will be ideal for a few forthcoming meets I will be attending.

If you are interested in this mat along with the roll, Military Mart are selling both items as a military swag bag

Good Luck.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I got one of the polish sleep mats a bit back from a meet i was at and got to say i agree its comfy and awkward to carry but still for car camping brill. Might still get the bedroll if it fits or mod another issue bivvy bag and make my own.

Jun 25, 2012
Portsmouth
Hi i prefer a swag, more roomy and comfortable and warm than a bivvy bag, but only really suitable if you are transporting them in a vehicle, although you can get a lightweight one for motorbikes, i have slept in mine at -10 with frost ontop of the canvas and was plenty warm enough!
i bought one from a new UK company http://www.swagsnbags.co.uk/swag.html

Jun 25, 2012
Portsmouth
yes a lot more expensive but its a really sturdy piece of kit, i have complete faith in it what ever the weather! and includes a nice comfy mattress :) each to their own tho!

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
So why a bedroll instead of a bivi bag , mat and sleeping bag ? What advantages does the roll have ?

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
So why a bedroll instead of a bivi bag , mat and sleeping bag ? What advantages does the roll have ?

doesn't really have any advantages, but it was the way it was done for a long time so there's a sense of history. early pioneers and explorers in places like Australia, Africa and during the western expansion in America all used bedroll's and blankets, which is why i like using them. each to their own

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE