Bed roll, sort of.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
What do you think of following:

I have a huge piece of wool cloth. Same cloth they used to make army uniforms of in Finland. Tightly woven and about 2mm thick.
My idea is to take this wool and and on one side of it let a seamstress sew a rain proof fabric: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/prod...rproof-fabric-m05-woodland-by-the-meter/51717

I would the end up with a wool blanket about 150cm x 200cm that is rain proof on one side and use it as bedroll in the summer.

What do you think? Good idea or stinkin´ bad?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In my opinion it's better to make a large poncho from the moisture permeable fabric that can be used as a bivvy bag, this saves weight and you can dry blanket and poncho separately.

Remember, that wool doesn't dry so fast!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used a Dutch Army blanket and faced it with waxed cotton. At one end the cotton extends beyond the wool to form a "foot-box" or extra head protection. You can also get in between the layers...005 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).JPG006 (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).JPG007 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).JPG008 (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).JPGPC210010.JPGPC210011.JPG One of my main bits of winter kit. I also faced a wool blanket with a patchwork of old fur coats to make a super warm blanket. Faced blankets are super kit!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you really want to sew it together, I think you should make it overlapping.

Let's say the blanket becomes 230 cm x 170 cm.

You fold it in half and get 230 cm x 85 cm like usual sleeping bags, which even would fit into it.

On the upper side the waterproof fabric goes at the three edges 15 cm over the blanket and like this you can button it down and reach that rain doesn't float into this bivvy bag.
In front of the nose you open the bag a bit and can breath out to avoid condensation inside. But the flap still protects the nose.

You could even add a hood and create a 230 x 170 cm poncho, worn as a rain poncho it reaches down 115 cm from the shoulders, what's pretty protective.
170 is wide enough to cover the arms.

(The oliv green German army poncho was just 210 cm x 165 cm, the Defcon 5 poncho is just 200 cm x 168 cm, but this is really a bit short, because only 1 m reaching down from the shoulders.)

Should you be able to sell that genius construction to Varusteleka, it has to be called the "TLM -- Erbswurst Bag" and I get 5% of the sell price.

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mowmow

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
20120323-191543.jpg

I have this Kifaru Woobie Express (bought at least 10 years ago), have carried it in the backpack wintertime when travelling. At least once it came to good use when I had to wait outside for an hour in -20 C waiting for the bus.
It has also been usefull when inside and feeling cold.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's a nice construction!

Sorry. I have seen, that I mixed you both Finns together. It didn't happen to me the first time. Both Finns have a yellow circle. That's really confusing.

Of course it should be called the
"Herman -- Erbswurst bag".
Or why not
"Herman--Erbswurst -- TLM bag"?

(As long as I get my 5% I have nothing against to share the honour.)

:biggrin:

Reactions: Herman30

bearbait

I used a Dutch Army blanket and faced it with waxed cotton. At one end the cotton extends beyond the wool to form a "foot-box" or extra head protection. You can also get in between the layers...View attachment 62643View attachment 62644View attachment 62645View attachment 62646View attachment 62647View attachment 62648 One of my main bits of winter kit. I also faced a wool blanket with a patchwork of old fur coats to make a super warm blanket. Faced blankets are super kit!

It rolls up very neatly considering there's a body inside it!

What do you think of following:

I have a huge piece of wool cloth. Same cloth they used to make army uniforms of in Finland. Tightly woven and about 2mm thick.
My idea is to take this wool and and on one side of it let a seamstress sew a rain proof fabric: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/prod...rproof-fabric-m05-woodland-by-the-meter/51717

I would the end up with a wool blanket about 150cm x 200cm that is rain proof on one side and use it as bedroll in the summer.

What do you think? Good idea or stinkin´ bad?
I would have concerns regarding moisture being trapped between the layers Herman. Personally I would use the wool material to make a capot or other clothing for winter.
Regards, Keith.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE