Beauty of butchery ...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They looked good enough but most of those cuts didn't really look traditional. None of them were cooked traditionally other than the bacon.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Excellent vid. Wonder how long they hung the carcase before preparing?

In a traditional hog killing they are prepared immediately. That's why it's done at the onset of cold weather so you can get it done before the meat spoils. Well, one of the reasons anyway.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Traditionally, yes. but that side of pork had no blood anywhere - must have been hung for a bit, surely?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Traditionally, yes. but that side of pork had no blood anywhere - must have been hung for a bit, surely?

I think he didn't actually slaughter the hog but rather bought that side (especially as it looked so neatly split) So yes, it probably had hung in a refrigerated meat locker. Not truely" traditional," but not truely "aging" either. Of course i could be wrong (especially in light of the opening scene with the rifle) but that's the impression I get from watching.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Well, I should have been working, but this was a fair better use of my time!!!
When I have a house, I need a chest freezer...
:You_Rock_

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
great to see the old ways still being done propely ! The only difference i used to break down the pig was to do it in thirds from the pig hanging, eg a double shoulder, a whole saddle and the two hind legs joined together, and then it was just the same way as he showed on the vid. some of the old timers used to split the pig into whole joints with just a very sharp heavy cleaver, but i used the saw as the cleaver left to many bone fractures and gave the meat a better presentation on the counter . Nowadays its recieved from the slaughter house band sawed into pieces and if u want any offel you have to order it separately instead of just going to a whole carcass and cutting them out freshly !
A great find and well worth watching if anybody wants to live self sufficiently !

cheers andrew.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was taught how break down pork/bacon and lamb when I was a lad at Safeway. Its very easy, once you've done it a couple of times its a doddle. I still do half a pig or a salt marsh lamb from time to time, plus the xmas gammon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE