Beautiful insect, well I think so.........

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Was out with the moth trap this evening and also caught a few hornets including this huge one.........
ps, sorry about the dirty fingernails.......
dsc02638largebb9.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cool photie, Jon :D
I've never seen them up here; I'm not saying they aren't here, just I've never seen them.

It's cold bees I keep finding just now, there were seven on the house wall and another four sitting still on the fennel flourish when I went out this morning. They had all taken off by the time I got home mid afternoon though.
Very few wasps this year and very few Jenny longlegs too :dunno:

Cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jon,

Awsome picture mate.

Ya'll have never seen my grubby mitts. Now, if you don't minf an innocent saying. Is that brave? Or daft? Or do hornets really not sting much? Or are they sleepy at night?

This is one of those....

"I wouldn't do that....but Jon's not daft...so I'm missing something" ....Moments

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hornets are pretty docile and will only sting if provoked, also it quite cold this evening and that also calms them down.
Last time we went there and ran the moth traps the warden got stung by one that crawled up his trouser leg and got trapped when he leant over. The hornets were a lot more active then, but I still would have no qualms about picking one up. The thing is not to annoy them...........
Also, although they are bigger, a hornets sting is no worse than a wasps......

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
:35: Nice Pic

Wasps/Vespids are some of the most beautiful insects aren't they?
Hornets are amazing creatures. Have you seen this before?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1012_051012_hornet_video.html

It's a video so only click if you've got a good connection. Unfortunately you have to sit through a short Ad first, but you can't go too wrong with Nat Geo.

Not quite the same species, a bit sensationalist but amazing pictures and quite a dramatic subject!

Hornets like you get here can be quite docile, so I hear. Not seen one about for a while though....

Reactions: JonnyP

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddy said:
Cool photie, Jon :D
I've never seen them up here; I'm not saying they aren't here, just I've never seen them.

Cheers,
Toddy
Well I would suggest running a moth trap, but I know you don't like flappy insects.
They are mainly seen in and around woods, not sure how far up the country they get..........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Moths :( I *know* they are beautiful but I just......no thanks. Funny enough one of my friend's is doing a Bat handling course just now ( it's illegal to interfere with flittermice unless you are qualified, it appears) and she is enthusing about moths; well, their calorific potential actually :yuck:

P.S. Hands that are too perfect don't make anything ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddy said:
Moths :( I *know* they are beautiful but I just......no thanks. Funny enough one of my friend's is doing a Bat handling course just now ( it's illegal to interfere with flittermice unless you are qualified, it appears) and she is enthusing about moths; well, their calorific potential actually :yuck:

P.S. Hands that are too perfect don't make anything ;)

Cheers,
Toddy
Thats true about bats. Saw one this evening take a large moth called an Old Lady.
Here is a close up of the hornet........
hornetxr9.jpg

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Jon Pickett said:
Thats true about bats. Saw one this evening take a large moth called an Old Lady.
Here is a close up of the hornet........
That's a wonderful photo Jon :)

I was out at the weekend and saw a nest which was quite active despite cool and damp weather. Around here they say that the sting from three 'frelon' will kill a adult cow :eek: but as Jon says, in fact, their venom is no more potent than a wasp ;)

I want to see you do the same as the brave girl on this (good) hornet website :)

Hornets - The Gentle Giants!

Click on the photos for amazing macros shots.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Love that second photo Jon - awesome work...also loving the term "flittermice" Toddy :D really adore bats (lucky enough to have our loft be a winter roost for long eared bats)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Ah, my friend the hornet IS the lovely friendly uncle of the wasp then. My (self) therapy for wasp phobia was not misguided then.

How does the moth trap work? Got a picture?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Fantastic photos Jon, I must admit I've got a phobia of wasps and hornets, seeing that one on your hand like that is making my skin crawl.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I have never seen a hornet before, but one has just crawled across the window in front of me :eek: , they really are huge. Unfortunatly my camera wasnt to hand so by time I got my camera out it was no longer in a good position for an "underneath a hornet" shot :( . Anyway, its nice to see one without being scared to death ( praise be to glass :lmao: ).

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Great photo's Jon...... :D

But what people cant see is that he is actually dressed up in a big Hornet costume so he doesn't get stung. :lmao:

Had a meet at my woods a couple of weeks ago with Jon and there was a persistant hornet that would insist on coming under the shoot in all the smoke.

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
Got stung on my back by a pesky hornet when I was over in Spain in July.

The hornets had made a nest in the ends of the garage door, there was a couple of holes on each side of the door, didn't realise they so territorial.

Nice picture though, don't intend to that close to one again!! :eek:

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
there's a hornets nest down the beach near my house, the have made it in a hole in a tree, if you go near it they all come buzzing out
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE