beautiful day + GPS = geocaching! (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
It was a beautiful saturday, sun was shining, bugs were tolerable, and everything is beginning to bud. So, I decided to go out geocaching for the day. Two memorable places that I went to were waterfalls: one of the is called Doane's Falls, and was the site of a mill over 100 years ago. The other is called Spirit Falls, ot sure on the history of it, but, its out in the middle of nowhere, so whatever tale is tied to it, it is almost surely native american. At one area, I ran across a beaver swimming lazily in the pond. Anyway, enough jibber jabber, on with the pics!!!

First one: picture from an overlook, at one of the geocaches I did today
outside001-1.jpg

Next, Spirit Falls. This is only part, as it cascades down about 300 feet.
outside005.jpg

Next up, Doane's falls. This one also cascades several hundred feet down. This is a view of the top, where it begins its cascade under the local road.
outside016.jpg

Last, the beaver taking an afternoon swim!
outside015.jpg

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
WOW,Great pictures there OldSoldier you sure are lucky to have such a large and beautiful place to chill out in.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
Geocaching is great for introducing you to fantastic places that you would likely never know about otherwise.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
saffy said:
Geocaching is great for introducing you to fantastic places that you would likely never know about otherwise.

Ditto that. My wife and I went to Poland to visit her relatives with a side trip to Vienna and Prague. I dropped off a travel bug in Prague with the instruction that it come home to me. I was expecting more of a lengthy separation, but it was back within 5 km of my apartment within a month. :D

I introduced my parents and brothers to the game on Boxing Day 2005 to drag them off the couch and it hooked my mom. Now she tries to hit a cache whenever she goes somewhere new and it gave my brother something else to do with his fancy GPS unit.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I am going to have a go at this geo-caching sometime....
Love that stone bridge OS, not seen one done like that before.....

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
The bridge was actually part of an old mill, that used to be a textile I believe) mill. Many of the old post roads around new england have the stone arch bridges, over 120 years old (hey, thats old for this country). Particularly in the more rural cities around me.
I went through a phase of taking pictures of old stone walls & boundaries. Its kinda cool to be hiking through the woods, no trail, and come across an ancient stone wall, or an old cellar hole. Most areas around here were deforested to make way for farming & fruit tree crops. then, as they expanded westward, most homesteads were abandoned, in favor of more suitable soil for planting out west (we have granite bedrock here, and fields are FULL of stones), or went into the cities to work in textile & glass mills.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've been geocaching since August, after reading about it on these very forums. I'll never forget the look on Mandy's face when I went home and said "Fancy trying something different this weekend - I've been reading about it on the internet?"

It's good. Gets us out. We visit some nice places, some right under our nose and we just didn't know about them or haven't got around to visiting. Had a very different experience this weekend though - found a stash of drugs whilst looking for the cache!

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
have had a lot of fun with geo casche just wish you could download the entire uk casches in one go and click a button to hide them when you are not looking for one .

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
william# said:
have had a lot of fun with geo casche just wish you could download the entire uk casches in one go and click a button to hide them when you are not looking for one .

You used to be able to, check the UK section on the geocaching.com forums for info.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE