Beating up the environment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moine

Forager
Abbe Osram said:
Hi guys,
I don't want to stick my nose in the discussion but I would like to share some knowledge I gained in my resent finished hunting license test.

Standing dead tress are needed for several kinds of bird to build their nests, I didn't know that before.

cheers
Abbe
That's right. They're also a source of food for many critters who eat bugs. I always check for nests and "bug trees" before I cut down a tree, even a standing dead one.

Cheers,

David

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I learnt that the hard way a few years ago and it wasn't a nice experience. It's how much a place gets used for something that decides whether it can recover or not.

Not all things that people do that change the environment are bad, the place where the East Anglia group was like a desert a hundred years ago and now it's a huge forest, OK alot of it is conifer plantation but the effects will not last as long as the moonscape that the prehistoric flint miners made a couple of miles to the north.

Also as part of a degree I did some fieldwork looking at the biodiversity of two woods, one saw plenty of human activity and the other didn't. Guess which one had more biodiversity?

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Yes, I agree, did you see tribe last night? They were ex-hunter gatherers, talking about having to move ever further away from their village to find animals to kill, mainly because they are settled now so the local animal populations cannot recover and, (I think), they are using more western medicines so guess more people are surviving to adulthood. I saw the same thing in Botswana when the last of the san were settled, the government eventually put a ban on hunting due to loss of wildlife.

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE