Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Very true...

In this case one view might be that the influence exerted has lead to a motivated, sucessful, family oirentated man, with philanthropic interests.

That he makes a TV programme that is not to some peoples tastes does not mean he is the epitomy of evil...

As I think we've said before in some of the Numerous Threads relating to BG. TV is one thing the man in reality is something else..

My opinion is having a crack at the TV show is reasonable its semi tangible we can form an opinion on it.

Having a crack at someone because of something their father did and infering that they are the same is not fair comment. Its a low blow.

That's because Mary asked us to stick to the facts rather than air our opinions about him.

My opinion about him is still available if you care to search for it but I can still freely say that he is the spawn of a very low form of human life. That is a fact.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
That's because Mary asked us to stick to the facts rather than air our opinions about him.

My opinion about him is still available if you care to search for it but I can still freely say that he is the spawn of a very low form of human life. That is a fact.

Indeed...

Sir Michael Grylls lead a very 'interesting' life prior to his death in 2001.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2001/feb/24/guardianobituaries.obituaries

That is fact. It's also factual to say the Edward Michael (Bear) Grylls is his son.

I think it's reasonable to note that in the Guardians obituary they note that Sir Michael " is survived by his wife, Sally, and a daughter and son."

The Jounalist makes a wise decision not to mention that the son in this case is also argueably well known.

I'd say use of the phrase very 'low form of Human life' might not be shared by people that knew or loved the man. So might not be 100% factual but folk reading can make their own minds up on that.

What I take from your post Wayland which says:

What do you expect from the spawn of a corrupt politician?

It's not going to be truth or accuracy is it.

Is fundamentally that because Sir Michael Grylls didn't tell the truth that his son doesnt tell the truth.

I'd ask outside of the medium of TV and TV production is that Factual??

Is the man not the TV star a liar?

I've never met Bear Grylls, I've watched his TV programmes, Read the wikipedia entry thats about it. I cannot honestly say if the bloke is a liar or not. I think that he probably realises that his time in the spotlight is in reality going to be pretty short and he makes the most of that and markets himself accordingly.

Is that a crime? Possibly to some and not to others...

I'd say as long as the TV show remains popular and Diverse / Discovery keep making it interesting and Bushcraft Expeditions keep providing survival consulatancy then Bear and the show are going to be around for a good while..

Cheers

John

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
A bit of Bear Grylls knocking going on here. I would like to give a positive opinion if I may. I will be clear first however that I am a Scout Leader and, of course, Bear Grylls is our Chief Scout, however the opinion I give below is I sincerely hope not bolstered by that, but is wholly objective.

The TV show: I see the TV series as what it is, which is entertainment. I watched the programmes with my daughter (who is 12) and found them enjoyable entertainment. Which, after all, is what TV programmes are made for. There has been some talk in the thread about whether or not the techniques are accurate/whatever, I do not have the experience to know about that, but what I am sure of is that most people who sit and watch the programmes are unlikely to find themselves in any form of survival situation and wouldn't know what to do if they did (whether or not they've watched BG). I certainly didn't rush immediately outside to attempt to eat anything still wriggling on the basis of it.

As a bloke: I've not met BG but he did come to a recent county camp and those Scouts and Leaders who met him all said what a pleasant bloke he is and how the Scouts all came back inspired. It is that inspiration that gets youngsters off their backsides and out into the fresh air, which in my opinion has got to be better than them sitting in front of the TV or Xbox all day long.

So there you have it, it's an honest opinion and if at the end of the day Bear Grylls inspires just a handfull of people to sample the great outdoors for themselves then I for one am a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE