Bear Grylls - The Island

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I'm not normally one for reality tv. certain personalities really grate on me and reality tv only exists to put deliberately conflicting personality traits together for the amusement of the viewer. however, i have been watching 'the island'. and its kept me enthralled. (men's island only, the women's island makes me want to jump into the tv in the vain hope of teleporting myself there in order to tell them to get a grip of the situation.

but back on topic..... i think its been really good. no deliberate scrappers or emotionally unstable guys, no stupid tasks to complete just 'get on with it'. has anyone else noticed how they have all kinda just naturally fell in to certain roles.... temper flare ups aside, i think its been good.. thoughts anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Seems they've run out of BG knives or something.... the women dispatched a pig with a Mora

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I've watched both the men's and the women's Island, I will admit the guys are working pretty well together even though tempers have been a bit tense at times, but on the whole they are getting on with the task at hand, as for the Women I tend to get annoyed with some of them certain members of the team seem to want to give up as soon as something goes wrong let alone wanting to go home because they are missing the family! what would they do in a real Survival situation? they know they will see there family again as it is only a Reality TV Programme! I was always told how ever bad the situation gets 'Never Give Up'

Other than that I think it is pretty interesting programme :cool:

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I tried to watch it but couldn't take it.....
Your reaction to it is the same as mine to Discovery/Nat Geo/Yesterday channel programmes on Bigfoot, illuminati, Turin shroud, ancient aliens and any other load of badly made pseudoscience.

On similar subject, has anyone seen SURVIVORMAN- BIGFOOT yet? I like Les Stroud but this programme is deeply flawed.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I find the men's island just as irritating as the women's. Instead of the fluffy helpless characteristics you have macho alpha male types who want to tell the rest what to do. Both characteristics are extremely irritating, both to watch and to experience.

At least this time they seem to have resisted the usual media temptation to put in deliberate troublemakers and fight-starters.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
One pig was caught in a trap on the women's island. But they bungled the dispatch and it got free.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
It was said the two piglets were Ill as well so they had to kill them rather than just doing it out of hunger something about their legs. One of the contestants said online somewhere?

Denny 😊

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I think the large pig they killed was the one that had escaped the trap - that could explain the steady movement of its back end. The piglets looked ok to me, just weaned too early.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE