Bear Grylis Fired by Discovery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
LOL. This thread is funny. You do not even like born survivor.

I like Bear. He said I was cute and a fun sized homunculus. I had to look it up.

You do know that homonculus in the Latin refers to a little man. Man in both species and gender?

:lmao:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Well - if he got fired because he refused to do any more of the faked up , lying , cheating, sensationalist, dangerous BS that characterised his main TV output - then fair go Mate! It gives me a bit of respect for the man!
I hope he can now make the kind of progs that inform and instruc

You said it, damn right. Why isnt there more Ray Mears on Discovery these days, Those Northern wilderness series where superb

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Not at all - I don't know Mr. Grylls, but I do know his name isn't BEAR. I did hear it might be to do with Edward, hence Teddy leading to BEAR. To assume anything other than that from my text is incorrect.

I can answer this - Mr Grylls' real name is Edward, he became known as Bear within his family as when he and his sister were very young children his sister was unable to pronounce the name Teddy (as he was referred to at that point by his family) and having a teddy bear she started referring to him as "Bear" and hence his family picked it up and it stuck.

It really isn't a big deal IMHO :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I can answer this - Mr Grylls' real name is Edward, he became known as Bear within his family as when he and his sister were very young children his sister was unable to pronounce the name Teddy (as he was referred to at that point by his family) and having a teddy bear she started referring to him as "Bear" and hence his family picked it up and it stuck.

It really isn't a big deal IMHO :)

Of course it is. Clearly t was a carefully designed ploy from an early age to make him more attractive to TV. His subsequent actions like mountain climbing, parachuting, climbing then ballooning over Everest, making SAS selection, active military service, becoming Head Scout, breaking his back were all clearly ploys to make him a famous TV presenter:)

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
But what behaviour has he shown that is morally or legally unnacceptable? I'm contracted to do things I don't wish to do. Does that make me a phoney, a liar and a cheat? Does that make me a charlatan? Of course not.

And here is the question. What has Grylls done that should make him the object of such hate here, that threads have been locked, members have been banned and posts deleted for the content and vulgar attitudes they presented? What heights of misleading implications in programs has Grylls attained, that Attenborough, Mears, Stevens et al hasn't that leads to so much hate?

Errm -- making such a big thing of his Christian principles and yet still allowing Mammon to dictate his actions. Enough hypocrisy t oover shadow hi genuine achievements. Would be an issue if he wasn't so high and mighty about it all.

Like father like son I guess.

Last edited:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Of course it is. Clearly t was a carefully designed ploy from an early age to make him more attractive to TV. His subsequent actions like mountain climbing, parachuting, climbing then ballooning over Everest, making SAS selection, active military service, becoming Head Scout, breaking his back were all clearly ploys to make him a famous TV presenter:)

I'm assuming I need to read this in an ironic tone :lmao:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Errm -- making such a big thing of his Christian principles and yet still allowing Mammon to dictate his actions.

That quote is likely to offend many Christians and ain't very nice fella.........

As an aside I feel sure the majority of us would swap places if given the opportunity, or is everyone going to deny the offer of a high salary and notoriety, with a guaranteed income for life plus the bonus of inspiring others towards an active outdoor lifestyle has no appeal whatsoever?

The bloke makes TV programmes that are for entertainment. He gets a higher profile that Mr Mears because the programmes he presents are targeted towards a broader audience. That does not in my opinion make him a justifiable target for repeated accusations and slurs (several on this thread have specifically described the bloke as "fake" and "a liar". I would argue as I have done previously that if you don't like him, don't buy his books or watch his programmes and stop denigrating the bloke in a public forum (which incidentally is, unless proof can be provided of those accusations, libellous).

As a Scout leader my personal opnion is that he appears to have inspired young people, and surely that is a good thing? As an individual I am not the greatest fan of the episodes of his TV programmes that I have watched, but my nipper likes them and it has inspired her to do more outdoors activities, and for me that is a good thing.

Whatever anybody thinks of BG (and I know nothing of SF issues, my Dad was in the SF but is as tight lipped in his 70s as he was when I was a kid) I have climbed and come from a climbing family and BG climbed to the top of Everest. Anybody who climbs will tell you that is the ultimate achievement, and whatever else BG does (and I am fairly ambivalent about his other activities) that gets respect from me. So, for crying out loud lets leave the darned subject and move on.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That quote is likely to offend many Christians and ain't very nice fella.........

As an aside I feel sure the majority of us would swap places if given the opportunity, or is everyone going to deny the offer of a high salary and notoriety, with a guaranteed income for life plus the bonus of inspiring others towards an active outdoor lifestyle has no appeal whatsoever?

The bloke makes TV programmes that are for entertainment. He gets a higher profile that Mr Mears because the programmes he presents are targeted towards a broader audience. That does not in my opinion make him a justifiable target for repeated accusations and slurs (several on this thread have specifically described the bloke as "fake" and "a liar". I would argue as I have done previously that if you don't like him, don't buy his books or watch his programmes and stop denigrating the bloke in a public forum (which incidentally is, unless proof can be provided of those accusations, libellous).

As a Scout leader my personal opnion is that he appears to have inspired young people, and surely that is a good thing? As an individual I am not the greatest fan of the episodes of his TV programmes that I have watched, but my nipper likes them and it has inspired her to do more outdoors activities, and for me that is a good thing.

Whatever anybody thinks of BG (and I know nothing of SF issues, my Dad was in the SF but is as tight lipped in his 70s as he was when I was a kid) I have climbed and come from a climbing family and BG climbed to the top of Everest. Anybody who climbs will tell you that is the ultimate achievement, and whatever else BG does (and I am fairly ambivalent about his other activities) that gets respect from me. So, for crying out loud lets leave the darned subject and move on.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE