Beadwork

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
My wife is Dene and has done traditional beadwork all her life, but recently has been trying different things, so I wanted to share some of her latest work. Everything shown here, including the gloves, has been made by her.
Traditional Dene beadwork has a lot of floral designs, similar to this:
IMG_2315_zps51b4ee7d.jpg

For something a bit different, here's a paw pattern on these gloves
IMG_2322_zps3b7d3903.jpg

IMG_2324_zps51288eef.jpg

Earrings
IMG_2329_zps3c690762.jpg

Keyrings. The little mittens are my favourite:)
IMG_2634_zps903958da.jpg

Hair thingies:rolleyes: I don't know what else to call them. The knife is for scale
IMG_4457_zpsedaf555e.jpg

And some more
IMG_4801_zpsb1bfe98c.jpg

A variety of wristbands and earrings
IMG_3519_zps72a4f6ac.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful work :D :D and lovely to see it too :cool:
I do a little beadweaving and embroidery, but nothing like the work and design in those.
Inspirational :D

Thank you for the photographs; tell your missus I wished she lived nearer ? :)

atb,
Mary

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love beadwork and have a small collection of items from South Africa - everything from trad necklaces to Bic lighter covers - and some Eastern European bits as well as some Plains Indians inspired pieces that I have sewn myself.
I love the pieces in the photos - especially those top gloves ... I wish I had that kind of skill!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Spectacular! in design as well as execution, those really are beautiful...My compliments to the missus :)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks for the comments everyone. She didn't know that I put her work on a forum but I like it so I thought others would as well. I told her about doing this a few minutes ago, and got a strange look, so I wasn't sure if I was in trouble or not:rolleyes:.

Once I read the comments to her I knew I wasn't in trouble. Watching her face light up in a smile as I read to her was well worth it.
You all have made her day. Many thanks from us both.:)

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
shes done some lovely work! Reminds me of my old hand made moccasins made for me by a little old native american lady. Moccasins died years back and in a rash decision I threw them out.....wish Id cut out the bead work so I still had it!

Im sure she would pick up commission no trouble at all!

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Here is some of the more recent work done by the Mrs.

Assorted earrings
90vekdD.jpg

Yj1HfTZ.jpg

uwKI7op.jpg

JSF52W1.jpg

BBwLquF.jpg

KMK4MXn.jpg

Who doesn't love owls?:)
fNMF3am.jpg

Wrist bands and others
abTegLg.jpg

ISzmzMm.jpg

yiuZagr.jpg

0eqap4B.jpg

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do showing it!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
She's moved away a little from the more traditional floral designs. Her recent body of work really shows off her skill.
I can put names on the hummingbird, feather and wolf earrings right now.

There are some Dene bead crafters in my village but they're so shy about displaying their work.
Until the time comes to get out the blanket winter coats!!!!!

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
That is some amazing work! Wow! I grew up with natives who did beadwork and I wore bracelets and necklaces somewhat similar to those, especially like the ninth pic down. Nice to see this sort of thing being done by others today.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
She's moved away a little from the more traditional floral designs. Her recent body of work really shows off her skill.
I can put names on the hummingbird, feather and wolf earrings right now.

There are some Dene bead crafters in my village but they're so shy about displaying their work.
Until the time comes to get out the blanket winter coats!!!!!

Yes, she definitely has departed from the traditional with a lot of her work. She is interested in other aboriginal cultures and really likes seeing different things. This is quite evident in some of what she's doing now.
Traditional Dene work here in Saskatchewan's north is more like what is pictured below. These particular gloves were made by her mother. This work is quickly disappearing in many areas as the older folks pass on.
I would have shown more floral designs but photobucket refuses to let me resize my pics for some reason. Uncooperative, as usual.
:cussing:

Moosehide gloves
IMG_0448.jpg

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Those gloves make my heart ache for the slow and steady erosion of the old ways.
Those are moose. What is the fur trim? Wolf, maybe?
The bead workers in my village add to their coats every year. In the drab, black and white days
of winter in the mountains, their coats are explosions of color.
I have a pair of double-soled moose moccasins, knee high, with beadwork down the outsides.
Made for me in La Ronge, 1965. Same year that they made me a prong-horn antelope leather shirt, 2-button cuffs, no less.
Still got bullet holes in the back. Me and Art Sjolander kept a table in The Zoo as an office.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE