Beach camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Camped out on a deserted beach t'other day with 3 mates. What a fantastic experience, highly recommended. We swam in the evening and had a BBQ before zipping into our sleeping bags. The sky was cloudless and we just slept on towels, watching satelites, shooting stars and the milkyway as well as the distant glint of a ship on the horizon. A perfect night followed by a morning dip in the freezing cold sea and a stone skimming contest (which I won).

Quick, head out to the beach tonight!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Mmmm.... that's sounds great! :D I have tried being on the beach at night and it's absolutely wonderful. :pack: It's best if it's fresh and cooling. :biggthump

Cheers

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
until a few months ago i lived in swansea, about 2 minutes from the beach, i slept out on the beach three or four nights a week, it's the mutts nuts! there really is nothing like going to sleep watching a driftwood fire and listening to the sound of the ocean. you've made me so jealous!! i think i may have to move back to a seaside town!

stuart

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I used to do it all time in my younger years and at start of next month I am introducing the Venture Scouts to the joys of bivving on the beach. I am really look forward to it.

James

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I've spent countless hours on the beach at night fishing, but never slept there. When I was a kid on a family holiday I had a walk along the the waters edge on night. Every step I took my feet were surrounded by bright green dots. Some kind of marine life phosphorescing. I've never seen it again.
Can any one tell me what it was?

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Swansea Beach! Stunning location did a week at the uni on a geology field trip. Great place and so much drift wood! Altho after the 3rd night we were walking a few miles to find wood!!!!!!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Every step I took my feet were surrounded by bright green dots. Some kind of marine life phosphorescing. I've never seen it again.
Can any one tell me what it was?
Its an algea.... not sure which as there are a couple that phosphoress. On the west india coast after the monsoon, the sea is an electric green with the stuff.

Ed

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
we jus call it phosphresance(sp) round here... you see it on summer night when the sea is warm and still.. i once saw it soo good that every fish could be seen beneath the surface.. its great to jump in

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Probably not much help but our laws are not all that different.

Here the Beach and all coastal land is common land nobody has a right claim they own it all do they might on the land up to it (this were access disputes come into play). Saying this you are right there are laws that govern the beechs and they mostly bylaws imposed by the local council. These can differ and vary depending on the council and even sometimes the beach or coastal area.

But saying this I have never had a member of the council out in forcing them at 1 or 2 in the morning. But with everything we do being responsible is key and so make sure you clean up after you so it's there the next time you fancy a night at the beach(don't give them a reason to be out 1-2 in the morning) and for others that may us in the next day.

My Thoughts only and as I said this is from a Southern Irish perspective.

James

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Thanks for that.
If anyone can confirm that this is the same for the uk, it would be much appreciated.
I'm especially interested in the driftwood fire, as when i go camping, i like to cook my food over a fire rather than a stove. I now this isnt allowed, but i am responsible and very careful, and i also use a 'fire spout 50'.
I just prefer the taste of food cooked over a fire rather than a stove

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
As far as I'm aware the Crown Estates own the land below the mean high tide mark so as long as you place your fire there (tide state dependant!) then it's ok. However it also means that the tide will eventaully put your fire out ...... although this again depends on how high the tide is at that time!

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I know a great spot on the north norfolk coast, there's a level bit with lots of bushes raised about 30 foot above the beach, a freshwater stream flows into a marshy bit with lots of bullrushes for food and of course there is some seaweed plus shellfish and fish if you take the gear to get them. I won't say the grid ref but anyone who explores along there will be able to find it if they want to.

A secluded campsite, water, food and good views, now all I need is more time off work!!!

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Gilmacca

It's certainly the case in Scotland where there are common rights of access to all foreshore areas - except in Orkney where they have a different system of ownership. You have a right to make a fire - to gather driftwood etc.

The foreshore takes in the area below the highest high tide mark down to the lowest low tide mark. Except at the highest of spring tides there's usually somewhere to camp or put on a brew, even when the tide is in.

Don't know if it's the case in England and Wales though.

George

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
gillmacca said:
Isnt there any law against camping on a beach, and what about the driftwood fire?

Tricky one this!

I can only really comment for where I work as there are probably different rights / laws depending where you are in the country.

At Merthyr Mawr Warren(where I work) the sand dunes down to Mean High Tide are part of a private estate and also a National Nature Reserve. To camp here you would need the permission of both the landowner and the Countryside Council for Wales (who I work for).

As for fires on the beach, here at Merthyr Mawr this is a big no-no :nono: . Although beaches and dunes appear to be of little importance to plants and animals they can be a very rich habitat .For example, it may seem a trivial thing but there is such a thing as the strandline beetle (Nebria complanata)that is restricted to sites along the Bristol Channel. This little beastie lives under driftwood and feeds on sandhoppers. As you can see if we burn the driftwood we destroy the home of this creature.

All I can say is

a) Check if you need permission to camp on the beach

b) Check if you are able to have a fire on the beach and that it will not damage any of the flora and fauna.

c) BE RESPONSIBLE!

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm having a go but it can be gutting sometimes to have to deal with the damage and mess that some people leave behind. As people interested in bushcraft I'm sure this does not apply to anybody here, but remember that it is very easy for us to be looked at in the same way by landowners etc.

To me bushcraft is not only about learning the skills needed to live in the natural world but also to make sure that there is a natural world for us all to live in.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I hope it doesn't sound like I'm having a go but it can be gutting sometimes to have to deal with the damage and mess that some people leave behind.
Its ok it doesn't sound like you are having a go. Its your job to make sure people are acting responsible.

Keep up the good work, MM is a lovely place :biggthump

Ed

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Ed said:
Keep up the good work, MM is a lovely place :biggthump

Ed

I try my best!

If anybody is planning to visit Merthyr Mawr anytime, by all means get in touch. It would be nice to meet new faces and if anybody wanted me to I may be able to show people around the Reserve. It's a large place, easy to miss things, and even easier to get disorientated (I won't say lost :wink:).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE