BcUK Photograph of 2014 competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
We have a potential problem for the March theme with the way the weather's been last couple of months.

I think it probably would have been better if I'd made July's theme of 'At Waters Edge' in place of March's 'Jack Frost' :rolleyes:

I thought I'd get a bit of feedback about it from people. I know end of the day it's my decision but I hadn't anticipated that the weather would turn out to be so mild and wet for the start of the year which would make it difficult for people.

So what I was thinking of doing was promoting April's theme of Lines to replace Jack Frost and setting a new theme of 'Through a Window' for April.

So what do people think, stick with Jack Frost for March or go with the new themes?

Last edited:
I think that would be a good idea and was thinking along the same lines. We have only had occasional frosts up here but that was before all the storms battered the UK.

Through a window or natural framing is a good theme and is one of the fundamentals of composition.

For lines would you be able to clarify this? Are you reffering to leading lines or photos something that is creating lines?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I was a tad concerned as we have only really had one frost the entire winter and it was mild and gone by about 9:00 as it was.

I would like to suggest leaving the other months as they are and just tweak March to 'The force of Nature' that way the lack of cold and the excess of wet would all be encompassed nicely. That way if someone has a great jack frost photo they would still get to show it off, a win win situation methinks ;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I was a tad concerned as we have only really had one frost the entire winter and it was mild and gone by about 9:00 as it was.

I would like to suggest leaving the other months as they are and just tweak March to 'The force of Nature' that way the lack of cold and the excess of wet would all be encompassed nicely. That way if someone has a great jack frost photo they would still get to show it off, a win win situation methinks ;)

I'm liking the sound of that Graham, nice suggestion :)

For lines would you be able to clarify this? Are you reffering to leading lines or photos something that is creating lines?

Andy, I was thinking along the lines (forgive the pun :rolleyes: ) of the picture having some form of visible lines in it, for example ridge and furrow, a ploughed field, a fence line, a railway line, tree lines etc.

I hope that helps :)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
2. The photograph must have been taken by the photographer.

I take it that that means 'All photographs must have been taken by the member putting them into the competition'. A bit pedantic I know, but nowhere in the rules does it actually state that the person putting the photograph into the competition must be the person who took the shot :eek: :yikes:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Having thought about the suggestions and going along the lines of Grahams idea I have tweaked the theme for next months competition.

March's theme will now be Natures Weather

I take it that that means 'All photographs must have been taken by the member putting them into the competition'. A bit pedantic I know, but nowhere in the rules does it actually state that the person putting the photograph into the competition must be the person who took the shot :eek: :yikes:

I have now amended the rule to make it clearer :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just a small addition for competitions heat winners.

Each months heat winning photograph will be used as the cover page photograph for BcUK's Facebook page.

The August heat winner will be the first photograph to have this honour :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE