bcuk African Bush Expedition 19-26th November 2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The Bushcraft UK, African Bush Expedition is an 8 day bushcraft and survival expedition led by certified UK guides/instructors. The expedition is a "no frills" low cost opportunity to experience top of the range instruction, in pristine African Bush whilst living and working with a San Bushman community.

During the course, students will be expected to participate in routine tasks around the camp such as firewood collection, water collection, and general camp duties. Accommodation will be in your own tents. (Only tents that have a sewn in ground sheet and zip door are to be used due to the scorpion and snake threat)

COURSE DETAILS:

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING A BOOKING.

Course provider: Bushcraft Expeditions (BE)
Minimum numbers: 12
Maximum numbers: 18
Minimum age: 18 (16 if accompanied by an adult)

Date of Expedition: 19th – 26th November 2011

Expedition go/no go date: 15th August 2011

Duration: 8-day itinerary. Arriving day one/departing pm day eight.

Timings and pick-up/drop off:
RV time 09:00hr on the 19th November in Windhoek airport (WDH) arrivals hall, Namibia

Drop off for travel home 16:00hr on the 26th at Windhoek airport (WDH).

Accommodation and catering:

Accommodation: Tented throughout. Students provide own tents, these must have sewn in ground sheet and zip closable doors.

Catering: The Expedition is on a self-catering basis. Rations can be purchased very cheaply locally and advice on what to get will be given on day one. The expedition will stop at a local town to provision en route to the bushman village. Rations will be cooked over open fires.

Expedition Cost and payment details:

Expedition Cost: £880.00 (Fully inclusive of VAT)

A non refundable deposit of £120.00 is required on booking – THIS DEPOSIT WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL IF THE EXPEDITION DOES NOT GO AHEAD

Final payments: payable immediately from the 15th August 2011 if expedition takes place and by no later than 15th September (any one failing to pay their final payment by the 15th September will lose their deposit and forfeit their place to a reserve)

All bookings and payments should be made directly to Bushcraft Expeditions by the following means:

To pay by credit/debit card:

Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.

To pay by Paypal:
Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700 or on the email address below. You will need to provide your full name, address, contact (email and phone) details, and BCUK user name. Do not make any payment until you have confirmed your booking with Bushcraft Expeditions office.

inforequest@bushcraftexpeditio ns.com (use this email address for Paypal payments)

To pay by bank transfer:
If paying directly into the bank by bank transfer etc please phone the number above for the account details. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.

All payments are by secure means.

On receipt of your booking and clearance of your deposit, all paper work will be sent via email.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT NO STUDENTS BOOK FLIGHTS OR PURCHASE EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT OR FOOD UNTIL THE EXPEDITION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE TAKING PLACE. NIETHER BUSHCRAFT UK OR BUSHCRAFT EXPEDITIONS WILL BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSE AS A RESULT OF STUDENTS NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT

Subjects covered:

1. Desert/Bush Outfitting, kit and equipment.
2. Dressing for the Desert/Bush environment.
3. Daily routine and considerations for working in the Desert/Bush environment.
4. Heat injuries their recognition, prevention, and medical procedures in the Desert/Bush environment.
5. Cutting tools in the Desert/Bush environment, their selection safe use, and maintenance.
6. Shelters from natural materials in the bush.
7. Fire lighting and fire husbandry in the Desert/Bush environment including primitive methods.
8. Traps and trapping.
9. Desert/Bush Tracking and wild life observation with the bushmen
10. Natural Cordage in the Desert/Bush
11. Signalling and rescue/casevac procedures.
12. Water procurement, carriage and preparation for consumption in the Desert/Bush environment

13. Field cookery.
14. Desert/Bush Wildfoods
15. Desert/Bush Navigation
16. Making Bushman bows, arrows and tools

Included in the price:

1. Full instruction in Desert/Bush Bushcraft and Survival from certified UK/English speaking Guides.
2. All internal transfers between the meeting point and Bushmanland.
3. Accommodation fees on the Bushman land.
4. Bushman guide fees.
5. Fully trained on site expedition medical cover.
6. Local guides.
7. On site water bowser.

Not included in the cost:

1. International flights/transport to designated meeting point.
2. Any additional activities other than those stated.
3. Clothing and equipment hire.
4. Food and meals during the expedition.
5. Trip/cancellation insurance.

Kit and Equipment requirements:

Wet Clothing

Cargo type trousers (loose fitting x 1)
Long sleeve shirt (loose fitting/fast drying x 1)
Walking socks (1 pair)
Desert boots
Belt
Wide brimmed hat

Spare Clothing
Cargo type trousers (loose fitting x 1) or shorts
Cotton “T” shirt (loose fitting x 1)
Socks (1 pair)
Normal underwear
Trainers or light canvas type boots
Flip-flops

Equipment you will need to bring:

Rucksack 65-70 ltr
Tent with sewn in ground sheet and zipped door
Waterproof rucksack liner or canoe bag
1 season sleeping bag or lightweight blanket
roll mat
Travel pillow (optional)
Water bottle (1 ltr min) or camelbak water container - Recommended
Water purification tablets for at least 10 litres a day
Mug and spoon
Billy can (preferable) or mess tin (for cooking over open fires)
Mora type knife or similar
Whistle
10 metres of strong nylon cord
Note book and pencil
Wash bag and toiletries.
Water bag (min 6 ltr) Dromedary recommended.
Orienteering compass
Means to carry water bottle, torch, camera, day's rations etc during day (small satchel or daysack)
Head torch and spare batteries
Waterproof map case
Towel
Personal Medications
Small personal medical kit containing plasters, aspirin etc
Lip salve
Sun block
Mosquito repellent
Documentation
Passport
Disposable lighters (2)

Medical and fitness

All expedition members should contact their doctor for advice on Malaria prophylaxis and any other vaccinations required for Namibia.
A reasonable level of fitness is required for this expedition; you will be expected to walk up to 5km some days in high temperatures.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just bumping this , The flights are abit of a killer but I would be interested.

Anyone else???

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I spent three weeks in Namibia last year. I cannot recommend it enough - fantastic country.

If I could afford it again this year I would go without hesitation.

Broch

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
HI Mate, I'm waiting on specifics but I know that there's Woody's team there who are qualified and english speaking and they've been doing it for a while now, they'll also have local guides for some phases of it.

I'll correct this if it comes back differently :D

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
I'm in Uganda at the time on a similar thing, cost of flights is £675 return for me, i did consider driving down, but it's a nightmare getting a direct route into the east coastal areas of Africa.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
HI Mate, I'm waiting on specifics but I know that there's Woody's team there who are qualified and english speaking and they've been doing it for a while now, they'll also have local guides for some phases of it.

I'll correct this if it comes back differently :D

Thank you Tone - I've no idea who Woody's team are -sorry
There are a great deal (with no disrespect intended) of so-called 'qualified bushcrafty people' yet many in reality are not / or their experience doesn't stack up so before I consider this, I'd need to know who what etc. thanks

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Dear All
We regret to say that the above expedition is cancelled due to insufficient numbers as today is the go/no go date. New dates will be posted soon on BCUK.
Regards
Becky

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Interesting post !!! i

iw581.jpg

Why did the pelican cross the road?
:thinkerg: To get away from the spam :thinkerg:

EDIT: spammer's post removed.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thank you Tone - I've no idea who Woody's team are -sorry
There are a great deal (with no disrespect intended) of so-called 'qualified bushcrafty people' yet many in reality are not / or their experience doesn't stack up so before I consider this, I'd need to know who what etc. thanks

THere are few people more qualified than Woody's team in the UK. Please show some respect and don't jump to conclusions. Tony would not have chosen them had they not been top notch.

http://www.bushcraftexpeditions.com/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE