Bcb crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 1, 2017
Leeds
Hi I'm new to bushcraft and very interested ...just obtained a British army bcb crusader set ...but no heavy duty lid ...ordered one of eBay but it was to small
..any ideas or recommendations or even advice ...tia...n thanks for the warm welcome

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Go to ebay and type in crusader lid. First result is for a handmade ali lid for either the first or 2nd type of mug. The seller will probably message you asking which type as the 2nd mug is a bit larger than the old steel ones. The lids work well and are light.

Also just noticed he now does lids for the Swedish mess kit and dutch mug if that interests you.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I'll second what TonyUK said about ebay and the Crusader lid woodlorien makes them to order and I have one for my Mk1 cup, fits perfectly. He also has lids for the ToC British Army mess tins.

Fallschirmwomble

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
Tennis Town
Which BCB Mug do you have? It sounds like you might have bought a Mk1 lid for a Mk2 Mug. The Mk1 Mug should be stamped:

NSN 721-3131
BCB INTL LTD

I swear by the BCB Crusader Mug (Mk1) - there was a smaller, aluminium mug marketed as the "Crusader Mug" way back in the 1980s so I prefer to refer to the BCB one by it's military designation, the '95 Patt Mug.

The BCB Mk1 system is a great set when used inconjunction with a '58 Waterbottle and Millbank Bag. I've not tried out the Mk2 version, never felt the need. I use it on the BCB cooker, directly inside the edge of a campfire or in a small cooking fire.

But why buy a lid?

I carry a piece of foil in the same pouch which I place on the mug to aid boiling and keep out dirt/ash. Initially, I used kitchen foil but I've switched to thicker foil taken from a supermarket pie. Cut to shape about 1cm larger than the shape of the mug's top - or leave rectangular. Works really well, doesn't cost anything, doesn't melt (in normal use), doesn't jangle and takes up no space whatsoever. In emergencies, it can be used for other applications and it doesn't much matter if it gets damaged/destroyed.

Reactions: Hans Freekit

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Never figured out why they changed the mug too a mark II. Other than commercial for money. " The first one is still the best" and an old Dutch mug is still better than the new Bcb mark II

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Never figured out why they changed the mug too a mark II. Other than commercial for money. " The first one is still the best" and an old Dutch mug is still better than the new Bcb mark II

The new cooker is a better design as a stand alone system, the mug is a bit bigger, made of ali and the depression in the bottom along with the larger burner all work to make the water boil a bit faster. Problem is that the mk2 is far too bulky to fit into a webbing pouch, along with a spare meal etc.. which is a bit of a odd ball considering that its marketed heavily towards the military.

I'd much rather have the mk2 cursader mug than a dutch one, the dutch issue mugs are small in comparison, you'd be hard pressed to heat a meal and have enough water left over for a decent brew.

Tonyuk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
True but I can manage a boil in the bag and a drink with the mark I and its as you say smaller to pack. Usually use Hexi and it never takes too long to heat up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE