BCB Crusader Mess tin with lid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
BCB Crusader mess tin

Specifications:
- Measurements: 175mm x 125mm x 60mm
- Weight: 360 grams (12.7 oz) (tin: 230 grams, lid: 130 grams)
- Capacity: 0.640 ltr (when filled to the rim)
- Material: stainless steel

picture1.jpg

The tin
The mess tin is a solid stainless steel and relatively light weight cooking vessel. It comes with a well fitting lid, which is a bonus compared with the old aluminium version which came without a lid. It saves precious fuel and makes your water (or whatever you are preparing in it) come to a boil significantly faster.
The lid also prevents the scattering of smaller bits of your kit (if you’ve stored them in your mess tin) through your rucksack.

Another difference with the old mess tins are the corners: there aren’t any. Where the old tins had rounded corners, the new version is made in a fluent oval-ish shape. This turned out to be an extremely good innovation, as it is a lot easier to clean. As in normal daily life, there are nicer things to do in the field than doing dishes.

A down side of this oval-ish shape though is that you are more restricted to the amount (the new tin is smaller than the old one) of kit you are able to store in it.

The arm
The mess tin arm clips over the lid, securing the lid to prevent it getting lost or rattling when packed. When new out the box this all works well, but after some moderate use in the field (and the obvious playing with it when it was delivered) the securing part still does the job, but fails on occasion. This made me start to use a rubber band after I returned from my testing trip, just to be on the safe side.

During the high cuisine cookery I didn’t noticed any conduction from the tin to the arm.

The lid
The mess tin lid, which has an integrated arm, is a bit to small to use for serious baking etc. Small sausages can be done on it (which I realised after I prepared the ones you can see in the picture), or maybe an egg … It’s also a perfect job plate for serving.
It does work as a signal mirror (though any shiny surface would do the job, if the situation dictates).

Whilst testing I noticed some conduction of heat from the lid to the arm, though this was caused because of the way I positioned the lid on my Clikstand. After some adjustment and carefull repositioning the arm could be handled without any problems.

picture2.jpg

Conclusion
All in all this new design of mess tin is a good product, and a move forward compared with the old ones without the lid. This mess tin, in combination with a Crusader mug (with or without the lid), definitely should forfill all your needs on a short trip or weekender. On longer trips, though, I would take my billy can.

picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

picture5.jpg

IIRC these will soon be available through the BCUK shop :D

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I've been using mine now for about 6 - 7 months, love it - have used it over trangia burner, pocket cooker, hexi-cooker and open fires with no problems. I even use the lid to cook my bannocks :D

The extra length of the handle on the main tin means I never worry about burning my fingers, as is possible with other designs. Because it's stainless, it's a doddle to clean, and not that I care much myself but no Aluminium Alzheimers worries either. It is't the lightest mess tin on the market, but it's solid and has stood up to a lot of punishment in the time I've had it.

It's become the one piece of kit I always carry along with my Crusader mug and lid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE