BCB "Combat Survival Tin"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 28, 2009
UK
The Combat Survival Kit/Tin is based upon John 'Lofty' Wiseman's (ex SAS, Survival Expert) Survival Kit. It is a survival kit primarily designed for the general public and is perfect for hikers, scout associations, climbers, anyone who enjoys the outdoors and is also a great starter kit. The Combat Survival Tin's components have been compiled to allow for the individual to maintain a decent standard of survival for 48 -72 hours, while awaiting and aiding rescue.

Contents and Specs:

Water resistant tin
Vinyl tape
Button compass
Knife
Matches
Pencil
Purification tablets
Snare wire
Candle
Flint & striker
Hacksaw blade
Fishing kit
Whistle
Sewing kit
Safety pins
Wire saw
Accident evaluation form
Survival instructions

Weight: 170g (6oz)
Size: 4.5" x 3" x 1"
NATO APPROVED

Average price: £10-15

This is the one I currently own. I have made some changes but the contents are mostly similar.

036.jpg

037.jpg

For those who buy this-this is a great starter /backup kit to keep in the bottom of your rucksack, this is not supposed to subtitue your main kit, and I recommend that you do change some of its contents.

Thank you for reading

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Might be a better idea to carry it on the person, because if you should become separated from your pack, you still have the kit, which is the original idea behind the tin!

If you really want to carry it in your pack, perhaps having it more easily accessible, rather than in the bottom of the pack, may also be an idea, as the pack won't then need to be emptied to reach the kit.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
From a UK point of view (not some parts of Scotland maybe) most of that list would be on you anyway, dump the fishing lines in the UK, waste of space. In the UK these little tins are not really needed, but they are a bit of fun to play with. As mentioned in some of the many, many, many posts about these tins, for UK use carry a mobile phone for one thing, the rest really should be on your belt on in your pockets.

I like the idea of these kinds of kits for a back-up plan. I bought a couple of similar kits designed by Doug Ritter I believe, made by AMK, to keep in our vehicles. I like the fact that this tin comes with lifeboat matches and not just regular ones. I have a friend who makes little knives perfect for the little tin kits.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm with Rik on this one ; I've seen dozens of these, usually filled with the most ingenious and seemingly practical stuff, but I don't think I know 'anyone' who has ever really used it :dunno:

It seems to be one of those *good idea just in case* things, that rapidly becomes clutter.

Oh, and my pocketses is a handbag :D Just don't ask me to find anything quickly in it :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Desided not to take mine last week and could have done with the gaffa tape stuck to the bottom to repair my glasses. :(

You only need it when you don't have it with you. :D

Stu

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Had a LW inspired survival tin when I first became interested in 'survival' carried it religiously for five years. Never had cause to use it in anger. Then I discovered I was not into 'survival' but 'bushcraft' = living comfortably as possible in the outdoors for periods upto 1 week or so (my definition).

I still kept the tin and spent many a happy hour refining it before dispensing with it completely.

For me, in the UK, under the definition above a 'survival tin' is not required.

Alan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used mine a couple of times...once, in the days when I smoked, when I ran out of lighter fluid....once for gaffa tape and fishing line to repair a torn daysack (do not bin the fishing kit - it does a LOT more than catch fish!) oh and once for a plaster to cover a cut....thats all, in some 1/4 century of carrying one.

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
for UK use carry a mobile phone for one thing..
I'm just wondering Rik, do you by any chance work for a mobile phone retailer?
It's just that every time any variation of this topic comes up you always mention the same thing - this absolute belief that a mobile phone is the answer if you ever get in a bit of bother whilst out "playing". I do not live in Scotland, and there are plenty of tarmac roads where I live, but I have managed to instantly kill at least one mobile phone by falling into water with it, have had them go flat on me on a regular basis and there are many many many places near where I live (including places where I play!) where I get no reception at all. Personally I'd rather have the matches, firesteel, gaffa tape, wire, knife etc... These things should be in my pockets, and they might be, but if I have the tin I have the bases covered - but good luck with your "Bushcraft mobile":rolleyes:
Maybe suggest it to BCB and the military - they could just issue every one with a cheap Pay as You Go mobile phone and forget the nato matches etc

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It's just that every time any variation of this topic comes up you always mention the same thing - this absolute belief that a mobile phone is the answer if you ever get in a bit of bother whilst out "playing". I do not live in Scotland, and there are plenty of tarmac roads where I live, but I have managed to instantly kill at least one mobile phone by falling into water with it, have had them go flat on me on a regular basis and there are many many many places near where I live (including places where I play!) where I get no reception at all. Personally I'd rather have the matches, firesteel, gaffa tape, wire, knife etc... These things should be in my pockets, and they might be, but if I have the tin I have the bases covered - but good luck with your "Bushcraft mobile":rolleyes:
Maybe suggest it to BCB and the military - they could just issue every one with a cheap Pay as You Go mobile phone and forget the nato matches etc

No Bumby, I'm a Nurse, and when the same question is asked I'll give the same answer.

Forget these little tins and just carry some basics in your pockets.

PS, get a waterproof case for your mobile.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.

Sounds like you need a better phone ;)

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
As Rik mentioned the survival tin is more a plaything than something to rely on to get you out of trouble. Most items within the kit are of substandard quality, although the wire saw does double as a good snare. I think you would be better off making your own kit, also adding a mobile phone would be a good idea.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ifind a few of these threads frustrating. The idea of emergency survival is unlikely, but a few choice "items" that are "just in case" is common sense to me. As people have said things like gaffa tape, but also sewing kit, ouch pouch, some field line for boot laces, guy lines etc., a spare lighter, a small quality backup compass, some tinder and other choice items have probably never saved my life - but they have saved my outing. Same with first aid - stuff that means a minor mishap does not become a trip ruination makes complete sense to me.

How you carry the stuff is up to you. Mine does live in a special container. The reason is that when I get up and walk out the door I can just sling it on my belt (its a possibles pouch I keep my stuff in). I don't have to pat all my pockets going "lighter, torch ...."etc.

If anyone here has never snapped a bootlace, had a lighter fail or needed a plaster, then they need to get out more! Nothing that requires a mobile phone - which should always be a measure of last resort...but s little sensible planning that saves an annoyance becoming a trip ruiner.

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have to agree (yet again) with Mr Red.
Although I have not had to use much from my Survival Tin it still earns its place as an "insurance policy"!
As to mobile phones - I would prefer the means of self rescue than calling out the emergency services due to something I could have fixed if I had been carrying a small emergency kit.
For big emergencies then yes the phone is ideal!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE