BBC2, Digging For Britain.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Folks,
I've been sitting watching BBC2 "Digging for Britain".
I was delighted to recognise immediately on seeing, and before the presenter identified the objects, a flint with iron nodule.

This was found in a high status grave in Forteviot in Perthshire, along with a beautiful bronze knife and evidence of meadow-sweet flowers.

Never ceases to amaze me.

If the you missed the program, I'm sure it will be repeated.

Cheers.

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Its been a good series so far..Tonights was very interesting with lots of flint from Happisburgh(go Norfolk!)

...and Alice Roberts is so fine:pirate::D

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Very much so, Launditch1.

I was just so thrilled at seeing that the person had been buried with their "flint and steel", or in this Bronze Age context, iron pyrites nodule. Unfortunately my jabbering drowned out the narrator's voice.

I see from a quick search that such artifacts have been found in-situ before, but have no idea as to the frequency of such finds.

I'm sure it has already been done, but it would be an interesting experiment for someone proficient in the art to compare the working edges and angles of that particular flint intended for use with a naturally occurring material to a flint of modern design intended for use with a forged steel striker. I just find touching our ancestors in this way so humbling.

I remember letting the statistics of the day, indicating that less than 1% of Archaeology Graduates ever actually work in the field, sway me from pursuing that line of study and I've regretted it ever since! C'est la vie!

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE